Down Sleeping Bags

ladyrose42

Okay, so I have been asking for lots of advice lately, but hey I have to learn somehow. I want to buy a sleeping bag that I can us year around. Is that possible? Next, who is better at making sleeping bags: Mountain Hardware or Marmot? Are there any other reputible brands? What about down fill? Any recommendations for a good bag? I am hoping that I can find a light weight bag too!

grin.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both mtn. hardwear and marmot make great bags. get a bag that's warm enough, though that will depend on what you like to do, how many nights you spend out in the snow, etc. if it's too warm, you can use a warm bag like a quilt. i've never had anything warmer than a zero degree bag, counting on the higher temp in the tent and my clothing to keep me comfortable down to -20. if your pack weighs around 25 lbs. for a weekend out, worry about weight. if it weighs closer to 50, don't bother. that's my two cents. good luck.

Both of the brands you mention make great bags, but if you decide that a down bag is best for your purposes, then nobody can touch Feathered Friends, IMHO. Most of their bags are built to order, so you can customize each one to a certain extent: different shell material, down upgrade, extra down in specific areas, vbl around the face, bags with half-zips to save weight, an ultra-light bag with no zip at all, etc. I've got 3 of their bags, super happy with them.

i've got down bags by Integral Designs (Canada) and Western Mountaineering (USA). both of which are -perfectly- sewn and detailed, excellent hoods and all-around lightweight bags.

you can buy a bag sewn/stuffed in China (Mountain Hardware) or a bag sewn in China and stuffed in USA (Marmot), and paradoxically, these are more $$$ than -better- bags built in Calgary or San Jose or Seattle.

AND Integral and Feathered Friends offer custom options: overfill down, fabrics, sizes.

I just picked up a Sierra Designs Convertible bag. I was looking pretty hard at Marmot too and decided they were comparable. The fact that you can go from a 15 degree bag to a 0 by zipping on the top was the selling point for me. Not to mention you can use the top for a summer bag. Might be worth a look...

ladyrose42,

A 10F Feathered Friends bag sounds about right for three-season mountaineering in the Cascades, at least for me. You can supplement with some warm clothes, and it should get you through most winter trips. I use a Feathered Friends Lark (10F) year-round in the Cascades.

As for the exterior fabric: Personally, I'd go with Epic, for a down bag for year-round use in the Cascades. It's worth the extra ounce and extra cost.

One thing to look for in a down sleeping bag-- continuous transverse baffles (for example, FF bags have this feature). This allows you to push all the down to the top of your sleeping bag, for when it is really cold out. Basically, I think a bag with smaller down compartments might not be as versatile, because you can't move the down around.

Just my $0.02. wave.gif

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey