rope up this 8=D

gapertimmy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here, I thought I was going to go this weekend because I had an assigment that was extended. But I spent so may hours working on my computer codes this week (only got one running) that I never put any hours in at work. So now I'm trying to make up for lost hours this weekend.

I was going to say fuck work and just go (because I can do that) but I just bought two plane tickets and as my friend put it last night "you don't want bad money karma". I feel like I'm doing the right thing, but it's small consolation when my work is so boring and I'm going to be here until 9:30 tonight.

I'm glad I'm not alone, but I wish I was climbing (I wasn't even going to drink at the rope-up).

damn jobs get in the way of everything [Wink] good money Karma is good... I wonder how I get that??? Glad to know I am not alone [Frown][Frown][Frown] beware I AM POUTING it was realy hard to watch Jkrueger and Texplorer leave with out me last night [Razz] but some one must mind the munchkins... and it is my turn [big Grin]

flaming lips??? [Confused] whatchu talkin' about?

I was on perminant vacation for 7 years (sort of) it is weird to be in the working world again. But it does feel good to do a job well and get PAID for it [big Grin]

work only blows when you can think of something else you would rather be doing [Wink][Razz]

[ 10-19-2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Muffy The Wanker Sprayer ]

interesting [big Grin] I like more Rock ROCK [Wink] listeng to BLACK CROWS on the radio right now [Razz] no reason to go mad [Wink] You have to pay to play little buddy.... pay now, play later... it all comes out in the end...

so when are you going to teach a climber focused geology class??? I have looked for one, but they don't offer anything like that at the local comunity college... share the knowledge [big Grin]

[ 10-19-2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Muffy The Wanker Sprayer ]

Climber focused geology classes eh? I don't know where the curriculum would begin.

There is however an excellent article in Rock and Ice from about 5 or 6 years ago called the geology of holds. IT tells you how a lot of common types of holds and cracks form. Talks about solution pockets in limestone, and patina edges on granite face-climbs (like J-tree). It was the cover story and you may be able to find it at a used Mag shop.

I decided to stay here because I'm planning a trip to the Selkirks over new-years that I can't afford right now. I know I'll appreciate it later when I've got some money in the back and I'm skiing 5000 vertical feet a day in Selkirk powder for a week.

[ 10-19-2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: E-rock ]

there you go [big Grin] think posative [big Grin]

I will look for the artical.... I love rocks, but my resurch skills suck. I would rather just have some one tell me why I can climb at (for instance) smith and how the rock was formed and why I can't climb on the other 90% of the rock in oregon.... I love rocks I always have. I am just lazy [Wink][Razz] but serously, I think that would be a good comunity ed. type class... I would take it [big Grin] I guess anyopne who climbs long enough can look at rock adn make a good decision as to weather it is climable or not... I just want to know why [Razz]

Generally what contributes to the climbablity of rocks in descending order from most important to least important is:

Rock type - harder rock types with stable mineralogy (at earth surface T and P)

Burial depth of sediments (if sedimentary) - rocks that experienced high pressure and temperature conditions will be harder than those that only achieved shallow burial before exhumation. This is generally a function of rock age.

Fracturing (is the rock pervasively and chaotically fractured, vs uniform, widely spaced fracturing, which allows large bodies of pristine rock to eventually reach earth's surface)

Hydrothermal/chemical alteration - has the rock undergone intense alteration from high-temperature fluids, which change the mineralogy.

Physical and chemical weathering - what are the climatic conditions that the rock is exposed in. Is the rock type susceptible to weathering easily in heavy rainfall, melt-freeze cycles, vegetative effects, etc.

Luck - did everything fall into place perfectly in a location where enough topographic relief exists to climb the rock.

End of class

[ 10-19-2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: E-rock ]

That's what Geology 101 is for [Wink]

The one fancy word I can think of that I used is exhumation, which means the processes that unroof (i.e. remove material from above) rocks. Exhumation in it's simplest form is merely erosion. However tectonic exhumation occurs as well which is hard to explain without drawing pictures.

I recognised the word as you can also exhume (unearth) a body when you have to figure out why some one killed them [Razz] mostly I was just teasing.... Like I said I want some one to tell me how the "tuft" was formed (as an example). there is more... there is a place called flagstone here, it is Beautiful, but it is a BIG rock that is lovely to climb in a forest filled with nasty choss and trees. How did that happen. How was it that the one place was bless with the right temp shifts etc, that it is fun and there is no more climable rock for miles.... I wish I could tell you the type of rock but I don't know where jk put the guide book, and I am not 100% sure the type of rock is in the book. sorry, I know you have work to do, but thease are the things that I think about while I am hating to hike [big Grin][Wink][Razz] to get to the base of a lovely climb.

I think it most popularly applies to large eroded dishes in sandstone. It's probably a spanish word for bowl or dish or something like that. The word probably gained popularity amongst climbers after Hueco Tanks was developed (which I doubt was named by climbers or geologists but I could be wrong)