Status of Cascade River Road?

Colin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my Ruby TR mentioned, we could not get past the stone wall overlook (a couple miles before the Lookout Mtn T.H.) due to deep snow on the road. The elevation there is about 1200 ft. There was about 18 inches of snow on the road there. Of course, all that was before the current warming trend. No telling how much of that snow has melted now.

A bunch of us were up in the region west of Mt. Baker and north of Twin Sisters. What an incredibly low amount of snow up there! Bare ground all over the place at 4,700 ft. Logging roads were snow-free up to at least 3,600 ft. I expect it's all gone from Cascade River Road too. There was a new mudslide across the road we wanted to get up (FR-38) so the recent heavy rains have caused some slides/washouts. Clearwater Creek was going gonzo. So was the Middle Fork Nooksack.

As you say, I think you're going to have to go up there to get the current conditions. The NCNP guys probably won't be venturing up there to find out in the off-season.

A few of us were up there earlier in the month, around the 5th, I guess. You could drive all the way to the Eldorado gate at the time. There wasn't any snow on the road until after the last gate. Since then it snowed some, but that must have all washed away by now. If it weren't for the gates, I bet you could drive all the way to the end of the road. There was a small slide area near the Boston Basin TH, but that's after the last gate anyway. Hell, right now there's probably not even much snow left at Cascade Pass wazzup.gif

Unless something major happened, you should be good to go. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...