Physical Condition for climbing

gessuss

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With this training I am trying to keep the body's muscles balanced. If you only exercise your body climbing, you are the perfect candidate for stress fractures, tendinitis and back injuries.

I think that is "enough resistance" for anybody.

I agree about the weight, you loose everything anyway...

I think that is "enough resistance" for anybody.

i think you are missing my point...ie when i need to "balance my chest" (pectorals) against my back, a push up is not gonna cut it...i walk over to the bench press and start stacking weights on...and for the pull upss...same thing...start stacking weight...

For High calibre climbing, you don't have enough resistance period...

Edited by RuMR

>>i think you are missing my point...ie when i need to "balance my chest" (pectorals) against my back, a push up is not gonna cut it...i walk over to the bench press and start stacking weights on...and for the pull upss...same thing...start stacking weight...

I got you now... that is one way to see the training, my experience tells me that this training does work for me and my students (we do 3 months of rock climbing in PE), I guess it might work for others.

wrestling does the same thing to me...i can't walk the next day after practice...all those little and big muscles that you forget you have remind you that they are still there... cry.gif

0563.jpg

Yeah, your wrestling pardner keeps bragging how you can't walk when he's done w/ you. moon.gifpitty.gif

eastsidewrestling club...

freestyle and greco...my oldest boy started this season at 5, and the club has a senior/open division...i'm getting my arse kicked but its hella fun...haven't wrestled since college over 15 years ago...best part about it though is NOT CUTTING WEIGHT!! hahahahaha

(disclaimer, I am not a medical doctor and some of the information or advice given in this post is non-factual)

I just got through benching 465. Let me tell how to get non-climbing physical conditioning. Go do something everyday that maxes out your heart for an hour or two everyday. You might want to build up to it. Whatever conditioning you want to do, just get the heart rate up there and hold it up for a while.

But if you want to pump some iron like me (I'm doing curls with 125 lbs (each arm) right now, this won't work. You'll probaly climb better though.

(The information given above should not be construed as factual and will not be admissable in any court of law as Truth)

Benching 465 and curling 125! You sound like a big guy. In fact how big are you and does your size ever bother you while climbing?
Sorry, guy. But the story isn't true. See the disclaimer at the bottom. I can bench maybe 175 if you tie hot air balloons to the wieghts! Isn't the truth better than fiction? yellaf.gif

Well in that case how small are you and does your size ever affect your ability to carry a a pack over long distances? Or while wearing snowshoes? I'm curious as to how light I can go as far as body weight goes without sacrificing too much strength in other important areas.

(snip...)I'm curious as to how light I can go as far as body weight goes without sacrificing too much strength in other important areas.

Wimpy climber-type here...

Lack of body weight hasn't bothered me any. Like anyone else, you learn what your body can do, then gauge how to treat it. Long haul... go light. Short haul and willing to suffer a bit... pile on the weight. I've always thought pack weight, up to a point, is just a mental issue. I'm pushing 145lbs soaking wet and have had guys at 200lbs heft my pack after a long haul and their eyes bug out. To them, it was heavy. For me, it was fine. Go figure. (No chestbeating... just trying to point out that like most things in climbing, a LOT of it is just in your head.)

As far as snowshoes go, the lighter the better! Same footprint/area as everyone else, but less weight equals less floundering for me!

And if you're with a sympathetic bunch, us lightweights can always use the "but I'm already carrying 30% of my body weight" excuse to offload group gear to the other brutes in the party. Personally... I've never done this - or should I say - been sucessful at doing this.

-kurt

Well in that case how small are you and does your size ever affect your ability to carry a a pack over long distances? Or while wearing snowshoes? I'm curious as to how light I can go as far as body weight goes without sacrificing too much strength in other important areas.

Joel, I'm 5' 11', 180lb right now. The only thing that has ever limited how far I can hike with a heavy pack is my cardiovascular fitness...and I have never had a problem with being too light. yellaf.gif

Again, I'm not an expert, but I believe the way to get to optimal weight is to measure your body fat, and then adjust your excercise and your diet to reach an optimal body fat/muscle ratio. You don't want to be losing wieght by losing muscle.

I still think that it would be better to focus on cardiovascular fitness though, but I'm sure there are people who post here that know better than I. Good luck!

Joel, I'm 5' 11', 180lb right now. The only thing that has ever limited how far I can hike with a heavy pack is my cardiovascular fitness...and I have never had a problem with being too light. yellaf.gif

I still think that it would be better to focus on cardiovascular fitness though,...

Agreed. I've lifted weights for 20 years, much of which with minimal cardio workouts. To get into shape for climbing a few years back I had to add a lot more of the latter. Being able to rep dumb-bell curls at 50 lbs or bench press 300 lbs helps very little on a climb...