Climbing in South Korea, know anything about it?

Hargrove1

So I just bought a ticket to Seoul today leaving the 26th of this month tell the 19th of next month. What I am wondering is if anyone has climbed there and has any beta? I am looking at the Sorak San area (To-wang-sung icefall) or well any other area in South Korea. Going there to climb will see what happens bu knw i will enjoy whatever will happen. Thank you lots

Ben

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know much about the waterfall climbing in S Korea, but I know they have a fair amount of it. There are climbing stores all over - just stop in one and find out where the climbs are. There are way, way more climbers per capita in S Korea than in the US - it's a fairly mainstream activity.

I was there in the summer, and I spent a few days climbing at Insubong (Seoul city buses take you to the trailhead), which was great. One of the routes I climbed was called "Shenada" - it's a bastardized version of Chouinard, as he made the first ascent of the route while over there. It was as good as Outer Space. The whole country is littered with awesome granite crags.

One thing to note: be extra alert if you hook up to climb with some Koreans. They are good climbers, but they are extremely cavelier about danger. Seriously, they make French climbers look like safety freaks.

Ben,

By Sorak San I take it to mean that you are going to the northeast side of the country. There is also a Sorak just north of Seoul if I recall correctly. Many of the ranges around Seoul have a version of Via Ferrata with bolted ladders and cables.

I have to second Colin's warning about Korean climbers in general (and I have met quite a few who are an exception to this). I witnessed far too many occassions of climbing practices that we consider far too dangerous for our western tastes. In one instance I watched a party abseiling a route and taking very long bounds. One "climber" bounded right onto the top of a sign proclaiming the summit of the mountain we were on. He broke his back and was carried down the mountain on a gurney.

I believe that the majority of the climbing shops in Seoul were in Namdemoon (sp?) market. Only one in Uijongbu, none north of that. Prices there are excellent. Use a credit card and get the best exchange rate for the day. I never did make it out to the east side, although I wish I had. The spires out there look spectacular.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

Ken