"rain reports" from local resorts

thelawgoddess

Winter of 76-77 remains the standard against which all crummy ski seasons are measured. Stevens ran only a fraction of the season; I can no longer remember the details but I will check.

I do recall a group of us went up to the secret arsenic mine up on Ragged Ridge on New Year's '77 and encountered balmy temps and absolutely no snow up around 5000' or so. Compare that to this year when I was able to ride a bike to Jack's Pass on Jan 4 with only a little snow the last quarter mile.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from their website...

STEVENS IS CLOSED UNTIL WE RECEIVE MORE SNOW!

Due to the heavy rain conditions, we are sad to report that we will be closed until we receive more snow. We received 6" of rain in a 24 hour period that did significant damage to critical areas of our runs. The warming and rain trend is forecast through the weekend. Please check back periodically for updates. STAY TUNED TO THIS REPORT AND TO OUR SNOWLINES 425-353-4400, 509-782-5516 FOR MORE INFORMATION. THANK YOU AND HOPE FOR SNOW!

I'm with ya. Back to Colorado, but I gotta wait at least another year. I do recall about three years ago our season there ended in April, with no corn, the thin cover all just melted in a matter of weeks. At least there was still powder in January.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

from their website...

STEVENS IS CLOSED UNTIL WE RECEIVE MORE SNOW!

Due to the heavy rain conditions, we are sad to report that we will be closed until we receive more snow. We received 6" of rain in a 24 hour period that did significant damage to critical areas of our runs. The warming and rain trend is forecast through the weekend. Please check back periodically for updates. STAY TUNED TO THIS REPORT AND TO OUR SNOWLINES 425-353-4400, 509-782-5516 FOR MORE INFORMATION. THANK YOU AND HOPE FOR SNOW!

ouch!!! hellno3d.gif

From Crystal Mountain webpage

CRYSTAL IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

As of Wednesday, January 26th, Crystal Mountain will be closed until further notice. This is the last thing we want to do in the middle of winter. At this time, the weather developments are not what we had been hoping for. We stand by providing the best skiing and snowboarding experience to our guests, and at this point we simply can no longer stand by what we have to offer. Hang in there, don't put your gear away just yet...we plan to re-open as soon as conditions allow!

cry.gif

Well, i'm in CO rigtht now and while it's certainly better than at home, it isn't exactly awesome here either. It hasn't snowed in a while and no interesting terrain is open. The advantage is the terrain on the slopes is fairly free of rocks, trees, etc. so they can run with much less snow.

Winter of 76-77 remains the standard against which all crummy ski seasons are measured. Stevens ran only a fraction of the season; I can no longer remember the details but I will check.

Asked around and as can best be recalled Stevens Pass operated fifty some days in the dry winter of 76-77. This season, by comparison, they have been able to run twenty one. cry.gif

The winter of 76-77 I remember well, the weather was warm and sunny into Jan. Rocky Mt. ski resorts first began thinking

about snow making equip. But by the end of Jan into early Feb. it began dumping snow and by the end of the season Meadows had 125 inch base. There's hope, but I'm not too optimistic.

Yes it's bad, but I don't dwell on it anymore. I've put the skiing on hold and am getting other things done I normally set aside for the season. When the snow comes again (and it will), I will welcome it, but I'm having a lot of fun this winter w/o skiing at all costs. I hope everyone else is making the most of this unusual weather as well.

Iain's approach is a whole lot more mature than I care to be. Iain's approach is a whole lot more mature than I care to be. I'm going skiing this weekend, snow bedamned.

Besides, I've got a new pair of skis waiting to be mounted right next to me. Now that I've got an official pair of rock skis I can trash them without feeling guilty. rockband.gif