Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN WILL CONTINUE IN THE MOUNTAINS THROUGH TUESDAY

NIGHT. RAINFALL TOTALS EXCEEDING 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE

OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS WITH TOTALS OF 6 TO 9 INCHES LIKELY IN THE CENTRAL

AND NORTH CASCADES. THE SNOW LEVEL WILL RISE TO AROUND 9000 FEET BY

TUESDAY."

Seriously Fucked

This weather does indeed suck. It should be sent directly to the Oval office, so that the moron boy king can see that, YES, global warming is real!

I hate when people say things like this. A warm winter (or week) in the cascades is NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO REAL EVIDENCE OF GLOBAL WARMING. The data that suggest global warming are long-term, and indirect, measures of climate.

This weather does indeed suck. It should be sent directly to the Oval office, so that the moron boy king can see that, YES, global warming is real!

I hate when people say things like this. A warm winter (or week) in the cascades is NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO REAL EVIDENCE OF GLOBAL WARMING. The data that suggest global warming are long-term, and indirect, measures of climate.

Just poke your head a little further in the sand (or maybe some other dark place). There is NO evidence of global warming aside from increased global temps. The current El Nino is a result of warming temps in the Pacific (like other El Nino events). Yep, just another isolated unrelated insignificant weather event. hellno3d.gif

So the monster storms that California has been enjoying prove that there is global cooling, right? The past three weeks of cold dry weather prove that there is global cooling and global drying, right? Yep, just two more insolated unrelated insignificant weather events! rolleyes.gif

Global warming is happening. You can't argue with the data. The why is not quite as well known.

So the monster storms that California has been enjoying prove that there is global cooling, right? The past three weeks of cold dry weather prove that there is global cooling and global drying, right? Yep, just two more insolated unrelated insignificant weather events! rolleyes.gif

Global warming is happening. You can't argue with the data. The why is not quite as well known.

It is THE SAME El Ninio effect that has caused the considerable snow in the Sierra. The Sierra's are higher elevation and as the warm moist air from the South Pacific uplift they cool and precip forms as snow. It is all related. Yep, human created particulate and pollution have nothing to do with any global weather events.

Just poke your head a little further in the sand (or maybe some other dark place). There is NO evidence of global warming aside from increased global temps. The current El Nino is a result of warming temps in the Pacific (like other El Nino events). Yep, just another isolated unrelated insignificant weather event. hellno3d.gif

The evidence you are presenting is anecdotal. It is not climate change data. It's going to be 4 below where I am tonight, does that mean you're wrong?

I am not suggesting that global warming is not occuring (I've worked in laboratories that study this topic). However, convincing our policy makers that we need to take the issue of global warming more seriously is going to require sound, well-reasoned arguments, not skiers bitching about rain. I suggest you read up some on the topic if you feel so strongly about it.

Food for thought:

Many of the long-term climate models predict that western North America will go dry as a result of global warming. So if we're to take the 2005 Mt. Baker and Sierra "data" literally (as we already have been in this thread), this year's winter would be counter to the long term climate effects expected.

When I was active in the field (I no longer am), much of the data came from stable isotopes and bedrock borehole temperature measurements. As well as inferences based on rising glacial equilibrium lines worldwide and ice-sheet loss at the poles. All of these data measurement techniques (particularly the stable isotopes and borehole data) are time-integrated to filter out the noise inherent in a messy system like the weather.

The current weather can be used to make any argument you like depending on where you live and how long you've lived there. In fact some places in the world are experiencing cooling trends according the data gathering techniques I listed above.

Suggesting that a warm winter in the Cascades (which is related to El Nino, a natural oceanic current that is probably increasing in severity), in my mind, is similar to the philosophical argument that Tsunamis, floods and landslides mean the END IS NEAR. We have better arguments.

Cracked, the "WHY" is probably a little better understood than you think.

I've lived in Colorado my whole life, 40yrs, and I've never seen it rain in Nov. or Dec. well it did this year. In fact its rained a number of times this year, one time all night. We usually get a few hours of rain that turns to snow, not hours of rain. Global warming is upon us! bigdrink.gif

It's 44°F right now at 7000' on Hood. Unreal!

Please note that if you want a future in politics the correct term is "global climate change" not "global warming".

In addition, I think the argument can be made for climate "instability" if not "warming".

In addition, I think the argument can be made for climate "instability" if not "warming".

One of the primary impacts of "global warming" is increased "instability". Greater temperature fluctuations, record drought followed by rain, etc. In short, the end of "normal" seasons.

Every global climate change prediction that I have read is calling for warmer, wetter conditions in the Pacific Northwest than were historically observed. That means less of a snowpack, melting out earlier in the spring.

I don't think you can fairly say that, "A warm winter (or week) in the cascades is NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO REAL EVIDENCE OF GLOBAL WARMING." Maybe it isn't. Maybe it is. confused.gif

The warm winter and unprecidented low snow pack in the Pacific Northwest is a result of the current El Nino. El Nino IS a warming of Pacific Ocean currents and may be natural. Ocean current temperatures are not isolated events. Human caused environmental actions such as logging of temperate and tropical rain forest ecosystems has a very real impact. Particulates found in glacial ice have a very real effect on increased temperatures of glacial ice which contributes to glacial shrinking. That too has a very real effect on climatic warming. Current weather in the Pacific Northwest is not an isolated event.

I wish you would have taken my advice and moved to Australia for the winter...you would have done us all a favor. smirk.gif

I know that climate change isn't proved or disproved by one season's weather, but it's hard for most people to relate to the real evidence; which makes bickering about it a lot easier.

The closest I can get to thinking about climate change is remembering the winters of the early 70's. There were plenty of days when it would be raining at Snoqualmie Pass, but there was always a ton of snow. I believe the last big snow year 98-99 would have been about average in the 70s.

Maybe if we sacrifice Rudy it'll stop climate change. evils3d.gif

NOAA REPORTS DECEMBER WARMER THAN AVERAGE, GLOBAL TEMPERATURE WARMER THAN AVERAGE. The national average temperature for December 2004 was above normal for the contiguous United States, according to scientists at NOAA Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. While much of the western half of the nation was warmer than average, a brief period of very cold temperatures and heavy snowfall occurred in the Midwest and parts of the South, where temperatures averaged near the long-term mean (1895-2003).