Avie fatalities in Idaho

olyclimber

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact that when I was 23 I would ski shit I would not now. I'm older and wiser and definitely do not feel immortal like I did in my 20's.

Is this yet another case of people feeling safe because they are wearing beacons? Did the survivor really know how to use one? Why couldn't he find them?

This is tragic and my heart goes out to their parents and friends. As my son gets older, I hope he will not become one of these victims because I won't be there all the time. I hope I can influence him in the best way possible. This really sucks.

I'm always skeptical about media reports on this stuff. Who knows what really happened.

On a related note, someone made an interesting comment on another board about the meaning of "Considerable":

Considerable....Death today is probable in avalanche terain. Death by avalanches are possible and you or your partner(s) will probably be the source of the trigger of a large, deep avalanche that will eventually risk the lives of rescue workers trying to clean up after your error.

High..today is your day to definitely kill yourself and anyone with you should you even think about approaching a slope. Prepare your will and enjoy your last ski run.

That said, some of the best days out there are in the considerable range, as we well know.