John Frieh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. The pick is fixed.

I know... I'm saying you guys should change the design so poor slobs like myself can save some cash by replacing just the pick instead of throwing away the whole tool after the pick is shot and having to buy a new one. wave.gif

Maybe I should chop the old one when its shot and weld on whatever fits.

The pick costs a lot more to produce than the shaft does. So, if we were going to make the pick replaceable and offer them separately, the cost of the pick would most likely be much more than half of the total price of the tool. The picks are pretty tough and there is a lot of metal in them. I think you will get your money's worth out of them.

430687-Monster.JPG.e946ecac5ec146409419a13567730cc2.JPG

Agreed... the pick is beefy! However more than half the price of the tool is still less than the full price of the tool. Just a thought. You should start a thread with a poll and see if people would buy the tool only if a replaceable pick was offered or if they have/are planning on buying one regardless of the fixed pick. And thanks again for making some sweet gear!

Picks for modular tools seem to run, at the most, about $40 each. Why would yours be any more? Most seasons I seem to get through a set of picks one way or another. Are you really suggesting I should just throw away a set of tools each year?

The pick costs a lot more to produce than the shaft does. So, if we were going to make the pick replaceable and offer them separately, the cost of the pick would most likely be much more than half of the total price of the tool. The picks are pretty tough and there is a lot of metal in them. I think you will get your money's worth out of them.

yelrotflmao.gif

I bet the fab process they use is more costly due to the complexity of the pick design and the increased difficulty of cutting the shape in a thicker metal no less.

I bet it's not. The picks look cast with minimal machining to me and can't be more than slightly thicker than (say) the Quark heavy duty pick (at $40).

02.jpg

I bet it's not. The picks look cast with minimal machining to me and can't be more than slightly thicker than (say) the Quark heavy duty pick (at $40).

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

For any ice tool the production cost is minimal compared to other factors like marketing, distribution, etc.

Take a closer look at the bolts attaching the pick to the top of the shaft. Last weekend while climbing on Monsters I noticed that the threaded end of the bolts protruding past the nuts were mushroomed. This was a factory feature, so clearly the intention is to keep the nuts on the bolts and hence the pick on the shaft. In order to remove the nuts you would have to chop the bolts below the mushroom.

I don't think the rep's claims are unreasonable in terms of the pick's durability. After 5 days of mixed thrashing on the Monsters the picks still look brand new. I can't say the same for any 4mm BD or 3mm Charlet pick I have used mixed climbing for that length of time.

My 4 mm quads are still going strong; I did bend a 3mm pick last month or so. My concern isn't snapping/bending it as much as repeated sharpening until nothing was left but stubs. Seems kinda consumption lifestyle/Americana to just “throw the whole thing away and buy another" when one could obviously minimize the amount of what is being disposed of. Just my 2 cents.

Harkin: are you related to Dwayner? the_finger.gif

I agree that I would prefer to buy a tool that has a replacable pick even if it is so burly it'll last me years. Like you said, less than new tool cost is still less than new tool cost. however, my guess is that Grivel is banking on the fact that in 2-5 years (or whatever) when you've trashed the picks on your monsters, you'll want to buy the newest and greatest in leashless tools which, by then, will not be the monsters.

still, seems like a good price for the drytool dedicated freak.