White Mountains, Arizona?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it sort of depends on what you have in mind when you say "nearby". There's tons of stuff that I know of if you're willing to put in a bit of driving time on weekends.

South of you (SE AZ, ~1h E. from Tuc.) is the Dragoon Mountains/Cochise Stronghold. Tons of quality granite domes - stuff up to about 8 pitches in length and w. generally short approaches. Get yourself that S. Arizona Rock Climbs by Kerry guidebook. Also in S. Arizona is Baboquivari Peak and many other large domes.

West of you is Sedona with its classic sandstone towers (Mace etc...). Granite Mountain outside of Prescott, AZ is also somewhere there.

Phoenix area apparently has a ton of crags incl. Mt. Lemon I think?

Backcountry? Head further west and do some stuff in Grand Canyon. Forgot the name of it now, but there is this "Temple" there with a supposedly nice 5.9 to the top. There are probably others.

Red Rocks (Vegas) ain't that far either. Neither is Moab.

Heard there's lots of godd stuff to the east in New Mexico (Sandias).

Hell, looking out the window today I'd jump on this opportunity!

no problem.

Only downside to the area could be the summer heat (but then you just head out to the peaks - NM or even CO).

I'm guessing that you probably have seen this page before, but this has got to be some of the best (amature) climbing photography on the web (some nice TR's too). Check out the AZ, UT, NV etc.. sections on the page:

http://www.gdargaud.net/Climbing/index.html