Backcountry policy

plexus

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as Baker, my brother and I hiked onto the Arm for years in the late 70s and 80s. At the time we didn't know squat about snowpack, had no transceivers, and our basis for determining avy conditions was that we could or couldn't see naturally triggered slides. Pretty sketch, thinking about it now. This was well before their BC policy. But, more importantly, it was also well before that big slide. I'd wager that anyone that saw the size of that crown hanging on the hill for the months after the slide is pretty well convinced now that the Baker BC policy, and taking that level of precaution, is a good thing, given that the alternative really is outright closure (they can't control any of it, it's wilderness). What I like about the Baker BC policy is that it is somewhat self policing too. If you see someone on the hike that is solo, isn't beeping, no shovel, etc., there seems to be a general community vibe that it is your right/duty to call them on it.

I'd agree w EternalX that there are just as many yabos out by Herman Saddle, beyond Artist Point on the snowshoe trench, etc etc.

Plexus, people are mortal, they die. No matter what policies you implement they will continue to die. What is with this

American mentality that everyone should have a long life guarantee. It's all about the laws of statistics.

Wolfs, same here, no one ever heard of a beacon back then, just wasn't as many gapers in the B/C. Now that the magazines are pushing that riding, the B/C is full accidents waiting to happen

Edited by kailas

What is with this American mentality that everyone should have a long life guarantee.

unfortunately there is also this american mentality that somebody else is to blame even when poor judgment or bad luck plays a role in an accident ... usually some one (or more to the point, some business) with money. and hence the ski resorts are forced to implement some sort of scheme to try to protect themselves ... and hopefully others in the process. if you're not interested in their rules, it's simple enough to go elsewhere.

unfortunately there is also this american mentality that somebody else is to blame even when poor judgment or bad luck plays a role in an accident ... usually some one (or more to the point, some business) with money. and hence the ski resorts are forced to implement some sort of scheme to try to protect themselves ... and hopefully others in the process. if you're not interested in their rules, it's simple enough to go elsewhere.

You are correct as is the post above in relating that there is a lot more poor judgement in the BC than there once was. I can add only that both these are escalating:e.g. that both bad judgement and the attitude that misfortune constitutes a winning lottery ticket are on the rise. Ultimately, I believe, we must reverse both these trends. It would be interesting to figure out how much, out of every consumer dollar spent, is thereby sucked up...never mind the ever increasing losses in personal freedom of choice they cause.