how would you reply?

Gary_Yngve

I decided to reply to this email nicely, even though it was damn tempting to do so otherwise (one of the annoying duties of the Climbing Club president).

So I'd like to see what replies yall could come up with.

To : NAME_AND_EMAIL_DELETED

Cc :

Attchmnt:

Subject : Re: respond immediately or action will be taken

----- Message Text -----

Mike was at the Gear Room Wednesday and Thursday 4-6 PM. He's paid to be

there, and I saw him there.

Sandi is at the IMA, not at the HUB.

We don't rent out Cross Country boots. We never claim to rent out

Cross-Country boots.

When you can calm down and talk to me politely and respectfully,

I'll give you your money back.

Please re-read what you wrote. It's quite rude, and I don't deserve to

be treated like that.

-Gary

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, NAME_DELETED wrote:

>

>

> Dear Climbing Club,

>

> You owe me my $30 back and I want it back pronto. I signed up for the

> climbing club yesterday (Thurs) so that I could check out XC skis for a trip

> THIS weekend. Michael, who I waited around for on Wednesday repeatedly

> because he was not around during the 4-6 gear room hours, neglected to

> mention that the climbing club does not have boots to accompany the skis.

> Given that information, I would rather rent elsewhere, so I don't have to

> shuttle gear around to multiple places. Not knowing this, though, I paid th$

> $30 membership fee on Thursday, waited around (AGAIN) for Michael at the gea$

> room, only to learn that I STILL would not have adequate gear for the

> weekend. Now gear room hours are over, I have no skis, and am down $30.

>

> Michael claimed I could find a "Sandy" in the HUB from 9-5 to get my money

> back. There was no one there. Funny, everywhere I go, there's no one there$

> and I can't get either gear or a refund.

>

> If there is any justice in this world, someone will respond to this absurdly

> frustrated email and make me an appointment for a specific time and place

> where I can get a refund. I'm tired of organizing my life around trying to

> make "gear room" hours and "office hours" for your "club". Please someone

> check your karma, check your email, and throw me a bone.

>

> I'd appreciate your prompt response.

> NAME_DELETED

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my FIRST reaction to this was: c'mon, Gary, haven't you worked in retail before?!? don't you know the customer is always right!!

when i worked at Round Table Pizza many years ago, we had to follow that credo, and follow it we DID.... however, that didn't prevent us from allowing a little bias in the quality (ahem) we used in preparing the pizza of a rude asshole. evils3d.gif (tangent: look people, DONT EVER, EVER be a shithead to someone who's preparing your food.... it's just not a wise idea)

my SECOND and final reaction to this was: "NAME_DELETED" and you both sound like total fucking whiners. rolleyes.gif the only difference is that NAME_DELETED's entire email sounds whiny; yours doesn't till the last paragraph.

pitty.gif

Or along a similar vein:

We can't give the money back until I pick up the check from the University containing the money. Then I have to give the check to my treasurer to take it to the bank. Then I need to get my treasurer to write a check. Only then can I give the refund check.

That bureaucratic process should only take about six weeks.

my SECOND and final reaction to this was: "NAME_DELETED" and you both sound like total fucking whiners. rolleyes.gif the only difference is that NAME_DELETED's entire email sounds whiny; yours doesn't till the last paragraph.

pitty.gif

Yeah, you're right. I could have toned down or omitted the last paragraph.

Oh yeah... the lovely threatening title:

"Respond immediately or action will be taken"

I almost deleted this email without even reading it because I was 99% sure it was spam

(i.e. send us your CC number ASAP or your CC card will be frozen).

Actually, damn, that's what I should have done. I should have replied back as if the email had automatically bounced from getting tagged as SPAM.

I'll have to remember that for next time.

my FIRST reaction to this was: c'mon, Gary, haven't you worked in retail before?!? don't you know the customer is always right!!

I have never worked retail before. I didn't have a car in high school or college (and I was one of those mofos on scholarship throughout all of college), so I had no need for a side job other than TAing. I did volunteer a few hundred hours of time for Habitat for Humanity, doing both construction and office work. While I was with HfH, no one treated me the way rude people treat retail workers. While TAing, the system was pretty simple. If one of my students caused a problem, I'd hand him up the chain to my prof (after first warning him that I'd have to do that). That fixed things pretty quickly.

I decided to reply to this email nicely, even though it was damn tempting to do so otherwise (one of the annoying duties of the Climbing Club president).

So I'd like to see what replies yall could come up with.

To : NAME_AND_EMAIL_DELETED

Cc :

Attchmnt:

Subject : Re: respond immediately or action will be taken

----- Message Text -----

Mike was at the Gear Room Wednesday and Thursday 4-6 PM. He's paid to be

there, and I saw him there.

Sandi is at the IMA, not at the HUB.

We don't rent out Cross Country boots. We never claim to rent out

Cross-Country boots.

When you can calm down and talk to me politely and respectfully,

I'll give you your money back.

Please re-read what you wrote. It's quite rude, and I don't deserve to

be treated like that.

-Gary

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, NAME_DELETED wrote:

>

>

> Dear Climbing Club,

>

> You owe me my $30 back and I want it back pronto. I signed up for the

> climbing club yesterday (Thurs) so that I could check out XC skis for a trip

> THIS weekend. Michael, who I waited around for on Wednesday repeatedly

> because he was not around during the 4-6 gear room hours, neglected to

> mention that the climbing club does not have boots to accompany the skis.

> Given that information, I would rather rent elsewhere, so I don't have to

> shuttle gear around to multiple places. Not knowing this, though, I paid th$

> $30 membership fee on Thursday, waited around (AGAIN) for Michael at the gea$

> room, only to learn that I STILL would not have adequate gear for the

> weekend. Now gear room hours are over, I have no skis, and am down $30.

>

> Michael claimed I could find a "Sandy" in the HUB from 9-5 to get my money

> back. There was no one there. Funny, everywhere I go, there's no one there$

> and I can't get either gear or a refund.

>

> If there is any justice in this world, someone will respond to this absurdly

> frustrated email and make me an appointment for a specific time and place

> where I can get a refund. I'm tired of organizing my life around trying to

> make "gear room" hours and "office hours" for your "club". Please someone

> check your karma, check your email, and throw me a bone.

>

> I'd appreciate your prompt response.

> NAME_DELETED

LOL

that is not rude. frustrated, but nothing compared to what i hear yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

when someone calls you a whore and tells you that the only use you are to a company is to fuck the exectutives... that is rude. and that has happend to me. I have worked telephone customer service for over a year now. and i have heard things that would make Trask blush. and i have to smile and continue to be polite to the people who scream at me cool.gif good luck.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

This is how I would have replied. I have made up some details for clarity.

Dear (name deleted),

Hey, sorry to hear of your frustration. A couple of things might need clarifying here, so let me address that first. The Climbing Club does not have XC boots available for rent, as stated in the XXXX. We’ll be adding this to the price list in the brochure and on the blackboard outside the gear room that lists the rental prices.

Mike was in the Gear Room for his regularly scheduled shift on Wednesday. I dropped by and chatted with him myself. If you missed him, he may have stepped out to attend one of our mandatory safety meetings.

Sandi is in the IMA at the climbing wall, which might explain why you couldn’t find it her in the HUB. I can’t be sure if we gave you the wrong information or if you perhaps went to the wrong spot by mistake. If you need anything from her in the future, she is there on Monday and Wednesdays from 3-3:15.

As far as a refund, it’s possible, but will take 4-6 years to process. This is due to being part of a large beauracracy (the University) and is completely out of my hands. The UW Climbing Club has much to offer and I hope you will look into our programs before proceeding with your refund request.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you at our Exotic Meat Cookout and Jello Potluck this coming Sunday at the outdoor climbing wall. We’ll be firing up the grill at about 4 pm if it’s not raining.

Sincerely,

Gary Yngve

Edited by marylou

This is how I would have replied. I have made up some details for clarity.

Dear (name deleted),

Hey, sorry to hear of your frustration. A couple of things might need clarifying here, so let me got to that first. First of all, the Climbing Club does not have XC boots available for rent, as stated in the XXXX. We’ll be adding this to the price list in the brochure and on the blackboard outside the gear room that lists the rental prices.

Mike was in the Gear Room for his regularly scheduled shift on Wednesday. I dropped by and chatted with him myself. If you missed him, he may have stepped out to attend one of our mandatory safety meetings.

Sandi is in the IMA at the climbing wall, which might explain why you couldn’t find it her in the HUB. I can’t be sure if we gave you the wrong information or if you perhaps went to the wrong spot by mistake. If you need anything from her in the future, she is there on Monday and Wednesdays from 3-5.

As far as a refund, it’s possible, but will take 4-6 years to process. This is due to being part of a large beauracracy (the University) and is completely out of my hands. The UW Climbing Club has much to offer and I hope you will look into our programs before proceeding with your refund request.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you at our Exotic Meat Cookout and Jello Potluck this coming Sunday at the outdoor climbing wall. We’ll be firing up the grill at about 4 pm if it’s not raining.

Sincerely,

Gary Yngve

now that is an absolutely perfect respons to an angry upset customer cool.gif

when someone calls you a whore and tells you that the only use you are to a company is to fuck the exectutives... that is rude. and that has happend to me.

Whores get a bad rap. You're lucky Muff, in the sense that nobody would ever pay me for sex. I would, and for not much $, alas............

Seriously, I ran the PSU outdoor program for 2 years. Except where one instance where the guy fell off of a cliff while backpacking near Larch Mt. with our stuff and died, it was generally good.

my FIRST reaction to this was: c'mon, Gary, haven't you worked in retail before?!? don't you know the customer is always right!! pitty.gif

"F" the customer is always right thing. If everyone just treated everyone right and pulled thier heads out of thier asses things would go a lot smoother.

I work with customers every day and I have had to tell a few of them to get lost. Sometimes you just have to.

Dear Byotch,

Thanks for you letter of concern! Upon deliver of your precious message, I immediately devoured the contents. No, I didn't read it. I ate the letter. It was delicious.

What ever your concern was, it does not impact me in the slightest. In fact, I don't even know you exist. I actually don't think that you do. At anyrate, I'm sending this message out to please my fancy, and demostrate what a witty cad I am. Sometime I dress up like Napoleon Bonaparte and go shopping at Safeway. Whimsical, eh?

Anyway, I apologize for the problems you may have had. But, you see, I've been going to college here for 9 years now, and I've seen it all. It is always stupid ass petty problems, and never a single real issue. "What about me...blah, blah, blah." Get over yourself. Think about those people in Malaysia with the tsunamia! Do you think your petty little problem compares?

.....any, that is a start. You could probably close by telling them to go get a refund for their college tuition or something. Good luck!

that is not rude. frustrated, but nothing compared to what i hear yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

when someone calls you a whore and tells you that the only use you are to a company is to fuck the exectutives... that is rude. and that has happend to me. I have worked telephone customer service for over a year now. and i have heard things that would make Trask blush. and i have to smile and continue to be polite to the people who scream at me cool.gif good luck.

holishit. we'll i've never said things like THAT to customer service reps i've talked to throughout the years...

but i have found myself being pretty damn rude to phone reps... and later felt lame about it, after coming to my senses and realizing/remembering that it was their COMPANY, and not them, that had created the stoopid problem.

(funny,... when i think about it, every anecdote I could drum up would probably be relating to madgo_ron.gifphone madgo_ron.gifcompany madgo_ron.gifbullshit... MCI, AT&T wireless, etc)

anyway, so on lieu of being able to apologize to all them, I hereby do so to you Muffy, for them words i've said to all them nameless, thankless customer service reps.

blush.gifcrazy.gif

gary, aren't you always complaining about sandi?

just foist all your problem customers off on her and let two wrongs make a right evils3d.gif

Dru, you are forgetting that Sandi is both my "boss," in that she controls our budget, but that I'm her "boss", as in whenever she screws up, which is often, I'm the one who has to fix it. Sadly, I can't do the other thing bosses get to do, namely fire people.