Climbers Rescued in Hope?

bigwallpete

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a friend at the Brew Pub who had seen the story on the supper-hour news. From what she was saying I think it was either CBC or CTV (she mentioned Gloria Makarenko (CBC), and a news helicopter (CTV)) or maybe both. "Experienced climber" 38-yr-old male from Oregon (?) I think she said. Sounds like injuries are not life-threatening, mostly cuts and bruises and a back injury of some type, but again apparently not serious. Sounds like a block detached while he was on it, and away he went. Most of the injuries were sustained when the ice landed on him at the bottom. Bear in mind I'm getting this third-hand so don't assume any of it is even remotely accurate, but that's what I've heard so far.

nothing on either website

i know a bunch of cc.commers were up here and climbing today,

hope whoever it was had a good trip up until that point!

Considering that Bridal Falls was spewing water as of wednesday, it may have actually been one of the neighbouring falls like never a bride or white wedding

I was at Bridalveil and vecinity on Sunday. After getting lost in the woods looking for a climb called White Wedding to the right of BV, we ended back at the base of Bridalveil. The volume of water was huge and the temps were above freezing indicated by the rain that was falling. We moved left to Never a Bride and Casey and Zac were on it. So we moved further left and climbed (I don't know the name?). While leading the second pitch, I heard a tremendous crash from Bridalveil. When we finished, Casey and Zac were done with NAB and the 4 of us hiked out around 3:00 while another party of French Canadians were doing the first pitch of NAB. I didn't go over to Bridalveil, but if they were truly on the ice on the left side of the main falls late in the afternoon, they aren't very smart ice climbers. I hope everyone is OK.

NAB and the one to the left were relatively safe that day but it was getting warm fast.

Edited by David_Parker

This was on Friday (late afternoon) not on Sunday.

White Wedding is well right of the falls in the corner by the obvious limestone cliff above the golf course. Never a Bride is just left of the falls. There is another WI4 ish thing to the left of Never a Bride which seems to have or may have gotten some traffic over the years but which isn't in Don's guidebook.

Powerhouse Falls on Friday with mtnfreak, then Buszowski-Kippen on Saturday. Sunday we ran the car out of gas on the Agassiz road, hitched back to Hope, got gas, caught a ride with Fred Beckey's lookalike back to the car, then finally made it to the climb (which wasn't in, just as Fern said), sometime after the rain started. So we bailed to the Blue Moose.

Let me preface this by saying I am deeply grateful to cj1001 for catching the fall, Winter, MtnHigh, Drew and Jeff for all keeping their heads and getting help and the Chilliwack SAR folks for going through all the tremendous effort to get me down the hill and to the hospital.

I was leading Never a Bride and was about 70 feet off the deck when either a block detached or my tools popped--not exactly sure what happened. The last screw I had placed was about 15 feet below me so I took a ride. I remember looking down as I fell and then the next memory is looking up into one of the SAR guys faces as a helicopter hovered over heard.

It took a while and a lot of work for those guys to get me down to the ambulance and again, I want to thank them for that.

About 15 stitches and what seemed like a thousand x-rays later, I walked out of the ER a bit poorer and headed over to the Vault with a sweet shiner.

I am a believer in screamers and helmets. I will post photos of both later this week.

Again, thanks to all those who helped.

Glad to hear you're relatively ok. Just goes to show shit happens to good climbers on easy climbs. I imagine the ice was way more brittle on Friday than Sunday. I'm curious if you remember making a tool placement directly horizontal to another one?

How about a report of your injuries? Sounds like you got poked somewhere? Hope you're back on the horse soon!

I have a black eye, a few stitches above my eye brow, a few on my eye lid and several on my chin. I assumed they were caused when my adze popped and I hit myself in the head. The cause of the fall is unknown to me;, at first it seemed that I pulled a block off and then fell but I am not certain. I also bruised my hand which is now swollen but I can still swing tools (we climbed in Lilloet on Sat & Sun).

I don't think I made two placements horizontal to each other. Rather, I was coming over the bulge and topping out on a shelf when the accident happened. I remember the first tool dinner plating on the first swing, then the second sunk the pick all the way in. The second tool was a little higher than the first.

All of this is based on my questionnable memory of what happened.

RBW strapped it on and climbed the rest of the weekend with a concussion and super mangled face. That shit doesn't make the news. Good job man. I've got a pretty good pick of the route and accident scene (aka your face), which I'll post tonight if you don't mind.