• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
paborden

Grivel Taa-K-oon Review -- Any Takers?

Since these tools have just hit the market, I've been unable to find much feedback on these tools online -- short of, of course, testimonials by climbers...sponsored by Grivel.

Has anyone used these tools who could give detailed feedback? At the moment, I'm not in a place where I can run out and just demo these -- so, discussions of balance, swing, comparisons to other tools etc, etc would be of much help

I demo'd a pair at Ouray on Saturday, had them for a mixed clinic. The swing felt much more like a traditional ice tool than did the Fusions, Ergos or Trangos that I tried. Swing felt much closer to my Cobras than the others. Balance is great. The stock (Mixte??) pick sucks, has a very wide, pretty blunt end that would require a great deal of modification to suit me, especially for pure ice. I think Grivel (this was my first real try with Grivel tools) have a much better pick than that available, but not stock on this tool. The trigger finger was pretty cool, though it's not very good to use for switching hands. All in all, I thought it was the best tool I tried last week.

I demo'd a pair at Ouray on Saturday, had them for a mixed clinic. The swing felt much more like a traditional ice tool than did the Fusions, Ergos or Trangos that I tried.

how would you compare it to standard Quarks with the "pinkey @#$% thing"?

I didn't get a chance to try those; either they didn't have any at the demo booth, or they were gone whenever I came by.