Seattle vs. Portland

Justin_RR

First, let's not let this become a "my city is better!" spray-fest...

Currently living in Portland, I'm considering moving to Seattle pretty much for the sole reason that it is closer to the lovely alpine routes of the northern Cascades (I'm sick of volcanoes!). This would shave about 2:30-2:50 (or more, depending on traffic) off the drive to most routes.

I want to know if you all think such a difference in distance is significant enough that it would really affect how often you climb and how long the routes are that you do. Making the move would be a big hastle for me. If the only difference is that Portland climbers get less sleep on a drive to or from a climb, I'd be willing to suffer through that.

But if you think that a Seattle "base camp" really improves your logistical ability to do more climbs, longer climbs and better climbs than were you to live in Portland, then that matters to me. In other words, are there certain ascents that are doable in a weekend from Seattle that become very difficult or slightly impossible from Portland?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know if you all think such a difference in distance is significant enough that it would really affect how often you climb and how long the routes are that you do.

+6 hours drive time round trip for many routes makes a difference for day trips, but not for weekend trips. Since many weekends end up being long day trips no matter where you live, if you are set on climbing in WA, then yes you will do more climbs if you live here. But better climbs? no. Longer climbs? No. (Consider that many people who do weekend trips in the summer routinely drive up Friday night. Then it matters less where you drive from.) Living in PDX, I suggest you climb one Summer in Washington and make up your mind whether axing the additional drive time is worth your move.

I did move here from Portland for just that reason, and feel that it allowed me to climb a lot more alpine routes in the north cascades than I would down there. Even for weekend trips, because when you reach the trailhead at 10 pm Sunday, there is a big difference between arriving home at midnight or at 4 am.

This would shave about 2:30-2:50 (or more, depending on traffic) off the drive to most routes.

That's one way. If you include round trip you are talking 5-6 hours more in the car. Do you really like to spend 5-6 more hours IN THE CAR?

I have also found the women in Seattle are better looking too. However, most of them have too much of an edge. If I was ever to go looking for another woman (I am currently married), I would choose some midwest girl--them be nice women.

That's one way. If you include round trip you are talking 5-6 hours more in the car. Do you really like to spend 5-6 more hours IN THE CAR?

Given the Seattle traffic you'll spend more time in your car getting to/from work.

As for the women - you've got some heavy strength beer goggles bigdrink.gif

I would live in Seattle if I could but work prevents that. In lieu of my current location I have still managed to climb every weekend since March 04 (with the exception of 3 weekends) almost all of those being in WA state. But I also put 40K on my truck in that same time frame. hellno3d.gif

If you got the option move assuming you are going to take advantage of all WA offers.

Edited by NOLSe

I lived in PDX for 6 years before moving to SEA and have lived here for 4.5 years now. I prefer PDX for culture, traffic, cost-of-living, and "scene". I prefer SEA for it's proximity to the "real" mountains, but I think living someplace outside of Seattle (preferably to the north) would be even better.

I think the added 6hrs of RT driving time makes a huge difference and I know I wouldn't be making many weekend trips to Hwy20 areas if I still lived in PDX. However, I'd go to Smith a lot more often and would be a better sport climber than I am now.

I lived in PDX for 6 years before moving to SEA and have lived here for 4.5 years now. I prefer PDX for culture, traffic, "scene"... all that stuff. I prefer SEA for it's proximity to the real mountains, but I think living someplace outside of Seattle (preferably to the north) would be even better.

I think the added 6hrs of RT driving time makes a huge difference and I know I wouldn't be making many weekend trips to Hwy20 areas if I still lived in PDX.

I second this post. I've never lived in PDX, but I love to visit. Seattle or northward. The Ham is nice. Sedro Wooley! rockband.gif

b-ham is lame. town full of wankers, only looking for excuses. 2" of snow fall down and the whole town shuts down. 3 days later people still drive with chains on doing 15 mph in a 55 zone- straight insanity. seattle is just an overgrown village with no real culture and driving there sucks. and most of the climbing in the n. cascades in wa is just low angle chossy/mossy hikes. move to canada son

"canadian culture" -what is that really?

poutine, play money, and burly chicks?

portland is the trailer park that you always want to party in cause you can afford the beers, and all the jokes are easy to get; seattle can be pretty convenient, uptight, shallow and overpriced -but it's also closer to...fuckin' canada bigdrink.gif

I live in Portland and love it. I will drink an IPA tonight and think about the reasons why ...

But if you want to relocate solely to facilitate ease of access to climbing, why not move to Wenatchee?

If you want to live proximal to big cities but still central to a lot of climbing in different directions, what about Hood River? You could go over to Hood easy, down 97 to Smith easy, up 97 to Stuart Range or even Snoqualmie area easily, relatively close to Tieton . . . Probably no more than 5.5 hrs to Mazama . . .

I think it comes down to how passionate/committed you are to pursuing climbing and furthermore the type (alpine vs sport vs mtneering vs etc). After you determine that and which portion of the cascades matches your interests better (most likely Northern is going to be better then central) the next step is finding a city you can stomach that is close. I saw someone suggested Wenatchee… yes that’s even closer than Seattle but 1) can you get employment there and 2) can you deal with the local scene? I would think if you were independently wealthy and already married you would live in Twisp or Mazama or Wintrop. But just a guess.

So… along those lines: what is the closest city to what you want to climb that you can get work in? For me it’s PDX which isn’t that bad… I just have to change my oil twice a month.

And asking people what they like about a city is fair but not really applicable. What one person looks for in a city might be a deterrent for someone else and a mute argument for a third. So… make sure the n. cascades is where its at for you and then determine if the extra amount of driving isn’t something you want to put up with and then make a decision.