Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW - John just called and told me its raining. Looked out the window and sure as sh*t it's raining here too. I'm not far from LO, which means it's wet there.

.........uhhhh.... sounds like scratching for tonight unless someone is jonesing.....maybe a trask trash haulout at RB or some gym climbing might be in order?

maybe it clears in the next 45 min. ??

i was hoping to get outside today, but i'm still stuck at work and working later than expected. At least I don't feel as bad since it looks like it's raining anyway.

I'll probably end up at stoney's tonight, but will be interested in trying to get outside on Wednesday if it's dry.

Edit: by the way, thanks a bunch Joseph for volunteering to clean up that crap.

Edited by hemp22

In case folks missed the 'Pickup truck' thread, the dishwasher and engine block got hauled out of the base of Rocky Butte yesterday and thankfully whisked away by a couple of the Church staff attracted by the peculiar shennanigans used to extricate them. But there are still some remnant parts and other trash there so if folks heading out there could take along a couple of plastic bags and grab the rest of it that would do it for this latest round. Thanks...

Pretty straight forward. Put an old cheap Chouinard pulley on the first branch of the big pine tree close to the road with about 4' of rope between the branch and the pulley. Then I ran an old 60m down to the garbage, through the pulley, and to the Camry right in front of the rocks by the street. Rapped down off the chain, tied on said debris on, jugged back up the chain line, drove Camry towards fence. Pretty straight forward. Took about 20 minutes thinking/setup, 20 minutes for each of them, and 20 minutes haul-to-road/takedown.

Engine block did snag on the edge under quite a bit of tension and so I had to stay to one side while I cleared it over the lip as it shot about four feet when it did. Other than that I just clipped a jumar on the line once they were up and drug them over to the road which is when the Church guys thankfully came over and hauled it away. I was in and out of there in 90 minutes.

Probably go back out to RB...

Unless I've somehow lost a day, isn't tomorrow thursday? ;) So... are you talking about tomorrow/thursday, or the day after/friday?

Always with the technicalitees.....sigh.....

Update, there were 2 of us at LO (Ujohn and I), so we had the place to ourselves!

Laps and laps and laps. I woke up at 4 am from muscle soreness :grin:

Heres my point, if any of you other pussies really DO ever get out and really climb, vs just yammering on about it (like I do most of the time), AND if you go to LO, then take a drill, a wrench an anchor bolt, a sheep, a bottle of wine and a blow up doll.

The center anchor on that little shit hole has had a chunk of rock bust off, and the entire length of that wedge anchor is visible and the whole thing wobbles. It won't pull out just yet, but like a tooth for a kid, it's a matter of time till the good bolt ferrie comes. The other anchor bolt has a loose nut.

So clip one and bone voyage suckar. The one bolt looks good, but it should have another one in there. You can climb the few feet over to the "Pope Memorial" bolted anchor above the other "Dwayner Memorial" bolted crack and clip that for redundancy if you are concerned (we were and we did).

Bring roundup for the poison oak on top eh?

I would do this my self but might not make it out for some time. That and I'm very lazy and self centered.