Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though most of you caught it I was kidding about the coffee/bribery thing. If you know me then you know it is usually me that brings the coffee.

As long as you are stoked I will go climbing with you. Simple as that.

I'm just not going to organize it anymore... if you want to climb it is up to you to PM me and say so.

CB: when are you going to call me? I had a great session at the new area last night wazzup.gif

• 3 months later...

Preseason opening Rocky Butte stoke warm up post thread revival!

-huh? Anyway...

I was up busting some turns on Hood with the pup early on Sat and spring arrived later @ 1pm when it quickly turned @ 50 degrees at 5600 foot level.

Now dailight savings is about to start working for us, should be light till 7pm and it's time to get SOMMMMMEEEEEE!

I'm planning on out of town this weekend rockclimbing either in the mts at a cliff or at Smith weather/snow dependant.

Next week if it's dry?

(Heres to heading to 100 posts and putting the nodder UNDER! :brew: )

If the weather keeps up like this, then i'll be lookin to get in plenty of after-work cragging this spring.

if i weren't fighting a nasty cold right now, i'd probably be out there today....

has anyone climbed at the Butt yet this season? i'm wondering how much trash has accumulated since the last clean-up. the environment there seems to usually be at least a little more tolerable right after the access fund adopt-a-crags.

RB will always have some level of trash just like smith will always have crowds or broughton will always have poison oak or club sport will always have MILFs (not that I look at them or anything :P ).

Every area has something... who cares? Climbing outside with cool people 30 minutes from work beats cube farming any day of the week.

I don't know about the rest of you but the more I climb the better I get so I'm going to do it as much as possible even if it means spray paint, chopped bolts, freeway noise, trash, etc etc.

Hope to see you all out there :wave:

I'm up for just about any day next week if it's dry.

Yep yep, I'm still around. Although my ARC training was rudely interrupted this winter by our moving, so I feel week as all hell and my training cycle is all sorts of messed up.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm totally game for some post-work ropeups... 6 months new to the area and yet to really go anywhere, simply for lack of partners and no lack of work.

Time to prioritize methinks.

I'm also going in to PRG from time to time if anyone could use a consistent partner... Looking at some trips this summer (Mt. Olympus) I need to start getting in shape for that and could use the encouragement.

I wouldn't say bad... just a bit nearsighted.

It was helpful though - I only had 1 cupcake last night instead of 2, and carried kids up to bed instead of making 'em walk.

FEEL TEH BURNZ0R.

Edited by setnei

Well, I scoped out rocky butte this afternoon. It's time to find a belayer. Who wants to help me work a 5.13 over there? Or at least point and laugh while watching me flail? ;) Looks like tomorrow's the last dryish day before off and on rain through the week; otherwise, let me know if you're game and we can keep our eye on the weather for a good day.

I know you're itching to point and laugh, Bill *grin*

Edited by aradia

has anyone climbed at the Butt yet this season? i'm wondering how much trash has accumulated since the last clean-up. the environment there seems to usually be at least a little more tolerable right after the access fund adopt-a-crags.

I went out last night to get some climbing in and stopped to gawk at the trash Joseph noted last month which was at the base of blackberry jam.

Hooo ahhh.

That might be a washing machine down there.

Pretty surprising to not see ANYONE ANYWERE on the cliffs, this being an urban area and all, and it was 68 degrees, perfect weather. I got up there late thinking I'd see someone I knew with a rope out.......did some bouldering on pussy wall, it was great, met picklejuice there climbing sans chalk (yeaaaaa!).

Sorry Sean, I don't do that to people who weight 113 lbs and can do 1 arm pullups. :lmao:

Sorry Sean, I don't do that to people who weight 113 lbs and can do 1 arm pullups. :lmao:

Dude, I can't do one arm pullups yet. Those are one-finger pullups, but I'm still using TWO arms! :lmao:

It's that time again: Sunset is approx 7:30pm which gives ME (it's all about me) an hour and a half at the Butte. So my special question is:

Who wants to do Tue or Wed after work.

Who's down with Tue OR Wed, or would you want Tues AND Wed?

Show of hands and vote on the day (s). I want 1 day only, Tue prefered - but I think JFrieh is only available Wed, and I'll gladly trade off Tuesday so I climb with him.

Both days are suppose to be OK, but they are talking 62degrees Tue and 68 Wed for the high temp.

I want 1 day only, Tue prefered - but I think JFrieh is only available Wed, and I'll gladly trade off Tuesday so I climb with him.

I am in PHX Wed am - Thur evening so it will have to be Tuesday or anytime Friday... Tuesday Bill? :confused:

As of Sun morning:

- SilverB area was dry but the routes to the right of it were still seeping.

- White Rabbit and Birds were dry but the the crack climbs left of that were wet.

Elisif is out there now... I think she will have an update later.

In other news: A few "climbers of interest" (see: sponsored athletes) are going to be in town this week... I expect we will be getting beers Thursday night at a location yet to be determined so if you are interested in hanging out with some very cool people who happen to climb very hard shoot me a pm :wazup:

Bill, I can make it out on Wednesday. It was nice to meet you last week! Oh, thanks for the info on climbing shoes... next time I'll just raid my dad's closet on the lookout for old loafers :)

Take care.

(I'll be out on Thursday too...on the slim chance that the weather holds out.)

I am in PHX Wed/Thur evening so it will have to be Tuesday or anytime Friday... Tuesday Bill? :confused:

Tuesday will be great John. I'll be there at 5:50 pm approx.

As of Sun morning:

- SilverB area was dry but the routes to the right of it were still seeping.

- White Rabbit and Birds were dry but the the crack climbs left of that were wet.

Elisif is out there now... I think she will have an update later.

Great, we'll get a report - either one of of those areas will be good, but for early in the year, maybe silver bullet for some easier routes for out of shape folks, like your new improbable looking 5.7 one over there on the right of Fandango with the improperly spaced bolts. :D

In other news: A few "climbers of interest" (see: sponsored athletes) are going to be in town this week... I expect we will be getting beers Thursday night at a location yet to be determined so if you are interested in hanging out with some very cool people who happen to climb very hard shoot me a pm :wazup:

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer, but I have some cool people I live with that have priority for me over drinking with strangers, even if they're cool ones who climb hard. Appreciate the offer though. Maybe have em bring harness's and they can belay my old and fat ass up a 5.6, give em something different to laugh about for the next slideshow?