John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Copy of Kellies post from Acess issues so it won't be forgotten and buried.

______________________________________________________________-

"Climb Max and the Circuit are getting on board. There will be a BBQ for all volunteers and FREE BEER!

Join the Access Fund for this bi-annual clean up.

Date- October 8th

Time- 10 am-1 pm

Where- Rocky Butte is located about 1 mile east of the 82 & Fremont interection. Park along the road across from the City Bible College

Trash removal, route cleaning, and ivy pulling all need to be done. Volunteers must be 16 years old due to ODOT regs. Bring a wheelbarrow if you have one, and any rakes or loppers for ivy removal are needed. Some climbing gear provided for route cleaners. We'll be out there rain or shine. Lots of swag and prize raffle.

Many thanks!

Kellie

Access Fund RC- Oregon

Edited by elaine (09/20/06 09:06 AM)"

I'm so there. Anyone else?

So I just got back from Taipei... no good climbing that I could find... and the beer is somewhat crappy too...

anyone going out on thursday? (wednesday is a maybe too)

Not to mention the crazy amount of forigoners too!

Is there time to do some laps tonight at R Butte before it gets dark? I think I'll do some bouldering as a minimum tonight and could use some company if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

New to PDX from Colorado, advised to look into this thread to hook up. Some tech class 5 exp., plenty 14k peakbagging all seasons, no glacier but some angled snow, have harness, shoes, leather boots, no ice tools. Can someone advise what I need to join in here. I have Sundays through Tuesdays and alternate Wednesdays off, so any kind of alpine or cragging trip these days I'm in if you'l have me. Want to bag some peaks eg Hood this winter or spring if anyone's planning.

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps...

So after 8 million laps I (and I suspect all of us) needed something more... longer... steeper... harder... etc etc...

So we went and built just that.

A small group of us have been drytooling on the west side. As this location isn't capable of supporting a large user population as well as being extremely newbie unfriendly (i.e. hard routes) I'm not about to advertise it here. I'll save you the time: no it isn't the bridge but if you don't believe me go hike up there yourself and check.

And more than anything I'm just tired. Tired of investing time and effort and gear in every person that came out only to have them bag it after 2 sessions or... have them go do something worse... you know who you are.

So I'm done organizing weekly sessions... perhaps someone else will pick up the torch? I'm still game for rocky from time to time especially if you want to trad lead or get practice following/cleaning gear on toolz… we’ll find out how attentive your belays really are hahaha.gif. I might be game for a TR session but you better have a good angle... bringing coffee would be a good start wink.gifyellaf.gif

If you want the beta on where routes at Rocky are located/rated give me a shout. And as always… if you are the motivated type who won't screw me over give me a shout.

Here's to 2 years bigdrink.gif

See you out there

J

4479IMGP0122.JPG

John, your charity and helpfulness has set the bar high and been an inspration to all of us.

I - for instance - am trying not to be such a selfish, self centered asshole (always getting on what I want to get on and sucking belays out of strangers). Feeling pretty good about it too.

But I still don't want to climb with n00bs or people who haven't been outside for at least 2 years, so maybe I haven't moved too far really. grin.gif

Anyway, plenty of people owe you plenty of thanks.

Don't change.

Later:

Bill

We don't need to lock this thread... if anything it was hijacked early on and has evolved into the "I live in PDX and want to go climbing" thread which I think is awesome. If you were actually bored enough to reread all 50 pages you'd see the bulk of the posts are for climbing in the summer. I hope people continue to use this thread for PDX climbing... who knows... maybe it will make it to 100 pages cantfocus.gif

The purpose in my post was merely to get the word out that I wouldn't be organizing weekly sessions... that's all. wave.gif

Perhaps...

So after 8 million laps I (and I suspect all of us) needed something more... longer... steeper... harder... etc etc...

So we went and built just that.

A small group of us have been drytooling on the west side. As this location isn't capable of supporting a large user population as well as being extremely newbie unfriendly (i.e. hard routes) I'm not about to advertise it here. I'll save you the time: no it isn't the bridge but if you don't believe me go hike up there yourself and check.

And more than anything I'm just tired. Tired of investing time and effort and gear in every person that came out only to have them bag it after 2 sessions or... have them go do something worse... you know who you are.

So I'm done organizing weekly sessions... perhaps someone else will pick up the torch? I'm still game for rocky from time to time especially if you want to trad lead or get practice following/cleaning gear on toolz… we’ll find out how attentive your belays really are hahaha.gif. I might be game for a TR session but you better have a good angle... bringing coffee would be a good start wink.gifyellaf.gif

If you want the beta on where routes at Rocky are located/rated give me a shout. And as always… if you are the motivated type who won't screw me over give me a shout.

Here's to 2 years bigdrink.gif

See you out there

J

4479IMGP0122.JPG

OH NO!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

I'm crushed. How will I be able to go on.

Oh cruel cruel world - why did you mistreat John so? Now our hero has gone and had to cancel the only thing that made life worth living in this sad little non-icy hamlet of PDX.

PLEASE COME BACK TO US JOHN!!! I'LL BE BETTER THIS TIME! I'LL MAKE YOU COFFEE, I'LL POLISH YOUR FRONTPOINTS, I'LL KEEP PRETENDING YOU AREN'T GAY, WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!

JUST DON'T LEAVE US! YOU ARE OUR MARK TWIGHT, STEVE HOUSE, REINHOLD MESSNER, AND CHRIS SHARMA ALL ROLLED INTO ONE!

Sincerely,

-Mixed Climbers of PDX

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

p.s. If you won't come back and "pick up the torch" for us, I will try to make the best of things and be a better, more unselfish person just like you. Because I know that's what you would want me to be. I hope you will at least let me come by sometime and photograph you sending those awesome new "hard routes" at your new place. Wow. I'm all a-twitter just thinking about it!

CB: I would *love* to take you out to the new spot. Please please please give me a call and I'll gladly drop anything I am doing and give you a personal tour: 503.758.5772

If you climb half as good as you ride my nuts you should onsight all of the routes no problem.

Put up or shut up wazzup.gif

John, sorry about my lame PM earlier. I'm also sorry I never got to be a part of this, I am still ready to go every other Wednesday, and I promise I won't bag it after two times (unless there's something really unsavory about what you're doing). Maybe I'm not ready for the dark arts of your secret stash, just give me a learning curve. I will bring beer, coffee, cured meats, Pez, whatever, to anybody wants to take an area newbie around. Anybody wants to just get together for a drink and talk climbing just shout.