Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

beacon was rocking 2day - full house oddly round noon at snag ledge - saw Old Jim n' he said the female peregrine was recently found dead

Wow. thanks for the update Ivan........Those birds have been sort of semi-missing ever since JH saw some Ravens chasing them, makes you wonder what that whole alternate universe is all about really. Plenty of other hot Bird-on Bird action out there last Sunday, but I don't think I saw the Peregrines.

-other notes:

Saw a Coopers Hawk at Rocky Butte last night, and the mean wasps at the base of Vertical Threapy are dead for sure.

A good pump was had by all (Bri, Sean, Bryan and I). The highlight of the night was Powderhound pulling that roof to the right of Bluebird. I've seen lots of real strong folks try it. That's the first time I've heard of anyone doing it. I figure Sean will nail it next time he's out there.

BTW, fat old man like me won't even try that one any more. I figure my tendons will thank me later.

Bill,

Sounds like I'll have to make it out some night now that you've dealt with the Russians and wasps. Yeah, the female was found dead on the side of 14 just west of Beacon. It's possible she was picking up something off the road and got hit. The two juveniles also disappeared about that same time, but David thinks that was just the normal sequence of young Peregrines leaving or being driven off as it is the adults who keep the territory. Last time I saw them, as Bill mentioned, they were being dogged all the way across the river by the Ravens in a 3 on 1 and 2 on 1 matchup - hard to imagine the adults putting up with such harassment. All in all after so much amazing activity around training the young to fly and hunt it was a bummer to have them all disappear. I did finally spot the male last week and it was good to see and hear him again. I've also been regularly seeing Peregrines at the 192nd exit on 14 (second light post on the on ramp), one out by Murray/Cornell on 26, and I believe your hawk along 205 variously between the airport and Stark.

The highlight of the night was Powderhound pulling that roof to the right of Bluebird. I've seen lots of real strong folks try it.

Disagree, the highlight was watching bill fly up toothpick sans chalk fruit.gif, while the rest of us hung like little wimps working out the crux.

I blame it on working that roof. wink.gif

Alas, I won't be going out tuesday evening. But next time we meet up, I'll try to bring my new rope. And I'm sure you'll be most happy to know that I finally washed my old rope, so now you can't bitch about how dirty it is. wink.gif

Robert, look for the silver miata at the butte. I'm not sure at which wall I'll be.

I'm looking to climb Tuesday. Finally have a day off, so I can go anytime. Beacon prefered, but if I don't find anybody out that way during the day, I'll climb at rocky with you Bill.

Beacon anyone?

Well I feel special. yelrotflmao.gif I suspect you'll be climbing at Beacon but let me know Josh. Anyone else coming, and if you are coming what would you like to do?