Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to escape Pill Hill before 7:00 for a change. So, if the invite's still there: 6:30-ish. I'll go back and review Bill's "don't fall to your death and land on me" instructions for the Butte.

Edited by Thudman

I'm trying to escape Pill Hill before 7:00 for a change. So, if the invite's still there: 6:30-ish. I'll go back and review Bill's "don't fall to your death and land on me" instructions for the Butte.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

We'll look for ya, just yell down and rap any free line when you get there.

KG dogged out! Must have slept in, everyone else almost got a pump.

The highlights: There is a wasps nest at the base of Vertical Threapy. Right behind the big rock where you want to plop your ass and backback.

Ask Nate, he'll tell you about it. yelrotflmao.gif

Tonight is move Jimmy O night. 7118 SE Boise at approx 6pm or so in case you need a full body workout and didn't get it last night. grin.gif

We really could use the help and I really have a cooler full of beer in the back of the car right now. bigdrink.gif

If you're running later and want to just show up anytime and perhaps get in on the beer, thats fine too. My cell # is 503-869-5772 - call it tonight and I'll tell you where the new place is as I don't have the address, I think he said it's suppose to be @ 58th and Pardee area though.

Never heard from the out of town folks so I don't know if they'll show.

Silver Bullet Bluff tonight OK for everyone? About 1/2 the people from Tue said they were showing up Thurs do it might get crowded some.

I don't know if it was moving boxes or Toothpick, but I still feel worked.

Whos in? KG, you gonna weasel out? grin.gif

Bring ropes.

Out of towner here. Chuck and I are in for this evening. I didn't bring a computer with me and had to wait for him to get here before I could do any real communication. The pda phone wasn't quite cutting it. Sorry... We're definitely in though. Looking forward to seeing folks again. smile.gif

Raquel

Hey Bill, I met you at another crag a few months back. I just moved to just off of 76th and Fremont and went last week first time with friend Jason Frick. We did Blueberry and Blackberry Jam. Both awsome!! I was wondering if you know the History of Blackberry Jam. As I was belaying Jason as he went from free to aid I noticed an old 1/4" at the belay. Then while following noticed two chopped 1/4" at the steep section. Were these from the FA in 74' or the FFA 77'. From the style of climbing that R.Mcgown was doing out at beacon I wouldn't think that it was him, but maybe. Just interested.

Your Pimp, stewart

Hey Bill, I met you at another crag a few months back.

Hola Stewart, I remember it fondly.

I just moved to just off of 76th and Fremont and went last week first time with friend Jason Frick.

Shit, you're a local. I grew up on the corner of 78th and Fremont till we moved closer yet at 86th and Duddleson (2 blks south of Fremont).

We did Blueberry and Blackberry Jam. Both awsome!! I was wondering if you know the History of Blackberry Jam. As I was belaying Jason as he went from free to aid I noticed an old 1/4" at the belay. Then while following noticed two chopped 1/4" at the steep section. Were these from the FA in 74' or the FFA 77'. From the style of climbing that R.Mcgown was doing out at beacon I wouldn't think that it was him, but maybe. Just interested.

Your Pimp, stewart

Starting with the classics and what a coinkidink! I saw Jason out Tue and we took turns on Toothpick. (This is the Jason with the Red and Yellow tape right? ) Ask him about the wasps nest below Vertical Therapy! yelrotflmao.gif

Before my time on the bolts Stewart. I don't really know the history well at all and hardly remember any bolts anywhere on that route. I was told by Joe Prinz that all the routes through that area were done occasionally as practice aid from the 50's on. So when your fingers plug into those nice soft finger slots on Birds for instance, you can thank the piton bashing pioneers who must have been dodging the quarry guard. It could be there was no guard until they stopped quarrying, but he was there and shooting at my tresassing brothers and I @ 1966 for sure. There is an identical rusty 1/4 Rawl stud bolt ladder with no hangers between the WR Buttress and Birds too - thats been there since before my time too. You might ask Jim Davis, he's a great guy, lives in Bend area and as far as I know still climbs (my info is old old old though). Didn't he do the FA with Jeff Thomas in 72-73? In either case, there was never any hangers on them that I was aware of, and Jim and Jeff would have just nutted the thing I'm sure, they both kicked ass as strong climbers and wouldn't have placed a bolt to FFA it.

You coming out tonight for some laps?