Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

Anybody down for tomorrow night, or Tuesday(evening or day time)? I've got work off, and am reallllyyy looking to get out and climb something. Beacon, Broughtons, RB, in order of preference. I follow up to mid 10's, not much leading experiance, but not afraid of it either.

Troy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I either need to get out tomorrow or put the shotgun to the head.

I need to fix a bolt I botched yesterday at the Butte so I will be there looking for a belay after get the old one out and put in a new one in case anyone wants to hook up with me.

5:45, Emotional rescue if it's just a few of us.

Seth, Ivan and Powderhound are all begging off to do real climbs! Johns out of town.

How about Mav, Hugh, Knottygirl, Paul, Kirby .....some of you guys?

Head count so we can choose where we want to go?

i would love to go to the Butte today, but i think i am severely allergic to something there. not really sure but, the last two times i've been, i've gotten totally ill confused.gifcry.gif

keep me updated on any other places you might go though....

i'm going to check the pollen count and maybe i'll be out at the Butte once things tone down a bit?? eventually i'll get back to the Butte.

phew, not allergic to anything at Beacon though, or seemingly anywhere else for that matter grin.gif

i would love to go to the Butte today, but i think i am severely allergic to something there. not really sure but, the last two times i've been, i've gotten totally ill confused.gifcry.gif

keep me updated on any other places you might go though....

i'm going to check the pollen count and maybe i'll be out at the Butte once things tone down a bit?? eventually i'll get back to the Butte.

phew, not allergic to anything at Beacon though, or seemingly anywhere else for that matter grin.gif

Mav: maybe allergic to latex, glass or used tv's? How did it go at Beacon for you?

(Nate- just gotta jump right in and invite yourself, we'll plan on your being there, that makes 3 committed, you - me and Sean.)

opps, re-read it and you were posting to Mavs which was Beacon only.

Edited by billcoe

http://static.flickr.com/68/191968757_b80f53a0c3_o.jpg

(you can't post pics in the threads here, can you?)

it went great.... not really sure what we did exactly, started on Cruiser(s)??, then SE corner, then cut across a traverse to some easy scrambling to a sort of camping ledge, then rapped down a few times to cracks part way up, a 5.10a and a 5.9. ran into Jim, Joseph, Kevin, and Rick. are some of those guys on here?

it was a great day all around! just beautiful weather.....

OT:

then tried to hit the Walking Man Brewery after for grub which CLOSES AT 8?? (it was 9:30) confused.gif then tried to hit the Wind River Hot Springs and found out that that is closed now, after 20+ years? anyone know about this? can you still get in through Carson, just not over the prvate land? what a bummer!

Edited by Mav

Named Cruisemaster.

Wind River HS parking was always private. They closed it almost 20 years ago cause of excessive trash after trying for a while to charge people and it's still closed. If you find a way across let me know.

Those guys slept in and were showing up when we were leaving. Joseph posts as healyje and Kevin posts as Kevbone. Jim won't get online as I offered to give him a computer, and Andrew (guy with Kevin named Andrew, not Rick, is from Colorado and doesn''t post that I'm aware).

I'd be into going to the Butte possibly on Wed. if anyone is heading out. I haven't been there in a few weeks...I miss it! Let me know....I have very limited internet access at the moment so if someone EVER wants a climbing partner give me a call, PLEASE! 971-344-6445

Prelude to story from last night. Broken beer bottles have slowed down, but not stopped since the police got involved.

Story from last night at Rocky Butte:

Sean was waiting for me to re-do a bolt on Bills Buttress that I'd boffed (undersized worn bit). 4 Russians wander by, (2 men, 2 women) then choose to wander away where they would be alone and not under Seans watchful eye where they alighted at the top of Phylyx.

After I finish my business, Sean mentions Russians and we discussed plan of action: either call 503-823-3333, the police non-emergency line, or discuss the issue with the Russians.

We choose discuss as there was only 1 visible 40 ozer and 1 can of beer visible, not a short case like usual (maybe these are not even the bottle throwers).

It was a short and sweet discussion. I said something like there has been problems with people throwing beer bottles off the top....

Dude interupts, and in accented English says " OH we always take garbage out", and points to a sack which had blown a short distance away and indicates that is the haul out sac.

"Great",say I all reassured," thanks so much...."

Off we go. We are down below and approx 20 min later we hear a bottle get tossed almost directly below where we had last seen these people.

My point: from now on out, if I see any Russians drinking on top, I WILL CALL 503-823-3333 and say: I THINK THE PEOPLE WHO ARE THROWNING THE BEER BOTTLES OFF THE TOP OF THE CLIFF ARE BACK AND DRINKING IN THIS LOCATION.

Please do the same anytime you see Russians here. It will stop if we have the willpower.

Unbelievable. Don't they know we kicked their collective asses in the cold war? And stole red october from right under their noses???

I was thinking we should send Sean up there to intimadate them. Seeing a fella who weighs 113 lbs threatening to kick ass should be enough to stop them right there in their tracks eh?

Those wars were not won BTW, I suspect that they are trying to get revenge by breaking glass throughout our country. They see our weak spot as our pets, so this will cause your dogs to get cut paws at the bases of routes, and then you will cry Uncle and they will win.

Course, if you go walking around with those lightweight nambie pambie gym shoes that have the 2mm soles, plan on a tentnus shot first.

So last night while I was waiting for my friend to show up (at Rocky) I noticed a "security/safty car" riding up and down the road scoping it out. Seemed nice and waved each time he passed by.

There were also some teens sitting on the blocks above where Bill's setting up climbs and I watched as they threw their gallon of whatever over the edge. So I explained to them the possible outcomes of their actions....they rolled their eyes at me and left. rolleyes.gif

No other peeps wandering the edges with bottles in hand.

Anyone climbing this hot weekend? cool.gif

Climb with me today? wazzup.gif

You begging? yelrotflmao.gif

I thought Tue and Thurs were climbing nights?

BTW, Joseph says there may be a person or 2 coming up from Tenn for a class or convention that climbed at the Butte last year and wants to join in this Thursday too.

So blanket statement to everybody, and don't take personal offence: no farting, burping or rude noises and lets put on some damn manners and show these folks some NW Hospitality if they come along Thurs.