Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

can someone please summarize this thread for me please? it's way to long to skim.

actually the trick is not to skim but to apply a davincafuckation algorithm to the 3rd letter of each post which derives the Essential Message: "kill your neighbors - kill britney spears - then kill yourself - be sure to get your whole head in front of the shotgun"

yelrotflmao.gif

Holy shit Batman: theres obviously a signifigantly bigger and deeper amount of shit rolling around inside your head than appears at first glance. grin.gif

Dude, you need to writing in your spare time. No kidding. Just use a spell checker once in a while.

Mike: I think it's just a local stream of conciousness kind of thing that Nolse started and perpertrates so that the view count gets higher. I think he must get a free tent or sumptin if the page views exceeds 40,000.

Letter will be out today and lets trim where needed - unless someone says otherwise.

My fear is that I piss off the wrong person or low life who then chooses to slice my rope with a knife while I'm on it down below cleaning or dogging (not that I would admit to dogging but I do). grin.gif

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike: I think it's just a local stream of conciousness kind of thing that Nolse started and perpertrates so that the view count gets higher. I think he must get a free tent or sumptin if the page views exceeds 40,000.

A tent would be cool but a NOLSe gremlin would be the shit. What would it be? A mini neutrino? A thermos? A windshirt? My vote would be for a smiley gremlin w/ a metal mask hahaha.gifrockband.gif

577308-633edit.jpg577308-633crop.jpg

577308-633crop.jpg.8a2fef817a15f72bc3a18153655237a9.jpg

Edited by John Frieh

You hardcore pups. I remember when I was younger, like ya all, trying a 5.7 crack in Yosemite in a pooring rain and not being able to get off the ground. Anyway, I gave up climbing in the rain unless I have too.

I could lead 5.11+ trad then. blush.gif

That was right around the time Derek Hershey came off the Steck-Salathe free soloing. I was there for that event too, and remember that it rained that afternoon. I think it did him in.

Course there's some nice incuts for holds at the Butte you don't see in Yosemite so you don't get totally washed off. Maybe you need to show up with tools and a Nolse to get the true alpine flavor.

The beer bottles flying overhead can be simulated Alpine rockfall.

sounds like i'll be at broughtons and climbing roudn 3 w/ backwoods this afternoon - anyone wants to meet up and make it a par-tay's welcome - probably start on gandalfs.

I want to be you. Wow, getting off at 3, that would be nice. Gandolfs rules.

Recieved a phone call from the College folks this morning. They take the issue very seriously for many reasons and will look into it.

They are not sure if the students are their's however.

As they have onsite security 24-7, they may be able to assist somehow. When I had suggested passing out securities phone numbers to regular climbers up there, Mr Jamison wanted to discuss this with the security people first before doing that.

Probably presumptious of me to think they want to patrol city property - for free. He said that the Portland Police are happy to show up just to check things out up there. I've always felt you don't call them unless you are stopping a rape or car a break in, but he suggested folks might consider calling them if you feel uneasy with anybody up there. I think someone on this site suggested to me to call and report to the police you saw them throwing beer bottles the next time you see somebody just drinking out there as that would certainly bring the police, but I don't want to lie and say I see something I don't. Sometimes people just want to sit peacefully and have a beer while enjoying the view.

Having the conversation brought back a memory of climbing with one of the Portland Bible College security guards, fella named Paul, about 4 years ago. You think climbers have it bad? These guys have to deal with the kind of lowlifes who broke into Loni's car and ripped off her credit card and throw beer bottles just wandering around their property (as it's an open campus) all day long.

Paul told me a story of a pastor who walked out of one of the rooms up there intenting to return shortly, when he got back the computers were gone. GONE. (News flash question, did the videos which get tossed off Video Bluff come from the college?)

As the brush hides lowlife activities and behaviors, anyone want to thin it out I say go for it. The city has rules and regs for this kind of thing, don't know who would be the arbitrator of this though or who you'd touch base with for approvals. In environmetal areas, they insist that any tree larger than 4" in diameter be left alone, and Ivy is an invasive species which strangles the trees and should be pruned back and ripped out. Don't know the rest. I think about 5 years ago, someone really trimmed the hell out of the area, especially next to the road. It might even have been the city. At the time I felt a little out of sorts about it, but now I fully understand it - you can see some of the little dead 1-2" stumps still there, but it seemed to grow right back anyway this being Oregon and all.

You'd think that the city and the fire dept would encourage clearing out the fire starter and smaller brush as well, I see homeless having an odd campfire down below occasionally. Mayby one of you wants to be pro-active and organize a volenteer brush clearing day and contact the city parks dept and see what rules are in place and resources they can add to this kind of thing. Maybe not.

Anyway, that's your update. I don't know the answers. I don't even know if I have the questions. I suspect that if the college had a clear view of the top of the cliff there would be a hell of a lot less problems. I know some people have big issues with change and with civilazation coming and they don't even want the poison oak removed. I guess I can sympathise some with that attitude.

That's all I have.

Bill Coe! Your rockband.gif the casbah! I never would have thought you'd get that kind of responce from them... WOW!

Sounds like we need to organize a mass bush burn/slash party and clean things up...

If I get a keg and grub how many people would come out and help out? If not a keg what would it take?