Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone interested in going up tomorrow, after 5pm? I was going to go up and do a little bouldering, but if other people show, I'd much rather go vertical.

Sounds good. I'll try to be there around 5pm, give or take.

You guys are rocky butt nerds. Come to my woodie instead.

Climbing outside in the sunshine on real rock sucks. Come climb the same 3 16' routes on plywood in my garage. tongue.gifyellaf.gifwazzup.gif

I'll bet 2 things:

1st) Nats got more than 3 routes in the garage.

2nd) If he went out to the top of the Butte with with a crash pad and a serious boulderer, not some pussy like me, he'd forget all about his garage. yelrotflmao.gif

Except, that he can climb and visit with family right there, probably doesn't get any better than that.

I'll be there, probably silver bullet at 6pm as I'll be with 1 or 2 friends who would want that area. You and Jaben are more than welcome to join us there (or vice versa whatever).

Same for the rest of you rock weasels. Feel free to join us. yelrotflmao.gif

Hi John! wave.gif

Yup. Weasel infestation all over the place after work tonight.....and bats too. Ask me about the bats next time.

Have you obverved that rock that is right above where you folks drytool? I figure one of you must be digging the dirt out from behind it to get the route below clean......but ......you folks might choose to trundle it before it decides to cut loose on its own. Most likely it's not going anywhere, but you never know.

I would estimate the weight somewhere well over 500 lbs, certainly enough that we won't need to be having a "well, he had his helmet on" discussion after the fact in the unlikely event that it chooses to roll on its own accord.

I have walkie-talkies for communication if you want to station somebody below to watch out for the unwary and see if a tap with a prybar is enough to make it slide off. I've been surprised out there just climbing along a couple of times to just pull on some apparently stable block with my hand just normally and have it slide right towards my head.

Have a prybar too.......And enthusiasm as well.

Maybe it wants to stay put, I was unroped, and just kicked it with my foot and didn't see any movement....but didn't want to push hard and take the ride to the base with it. wave.gif

Something to keep an eye out for. Hope it's cool in PHX for ya John, it's probably @ 72-75 degrees with the sun out and dry today FYI.

Bill:

I'll be there. I'll have paisley lycra on and a shogun (to manufacture holds of course). See ya.

New wave! Awesome.

BTW, if we're going that way, I have 4 or 5 shotguns, could get loud. There hasn't been any shooting going on there (excluding paintballers and plastic BB shooting wargamers) since the quarry caretaker left in the late 60's.

You might reconsider the wearing of the hotpink Lycra given all of this... too easy of a target. cantfocus.gif

Edited by billcoe

I wish I were in pdx; sounds like you guys are going to have a great time!

Well, short update. Although a good time was had by all, Seth did not show up with any shotguns frown.gif So I left mine in the car. He left the Lycra at home too. He brought a bike, but not a bike lock. Hmmmm. Interesting that the usual line up of crank shooting thieves were not in the area, in fact, I haven't seen any needles (or condoms either) for some time.

We had another group show up for the same area, so we set lines on the 5 best routes there and shared.

Which gets to my only real point, if you ever see a bunch of people tying up an area, which never use to happen but as more people drift in here it is becoming commonplace, sharing, community and saftey should be the order of the day.

So, if I tie up a bunch of routes, I encourage you to just jump right in. If I don't want to be with people I just go off on my own, it's always been that way. Rap my ropes, climb on my ropes, have fun.

Please reciprocate.

There was no beer. confused.gifconfused.gif

There was no doobies. confused.gifconfused.gif

There was no naked women. confused.gifconfused.gif

There was no backrubs. confused.gifconfused.gif

There were no flaming shots. confused.gifconfused.gif

There was no shooting. confused.gifconfused.gif

It was a straight 2-3 hours of after work cranking and it was good despite the absence of other stuff. confused.gifwave.gif

Edited by billcoe

I'll be there... depending on what time I roll my butt out of bed I might be solo TRing on phylynx or something... I'll come find you around 9 though.

Bring your pry bar and other trundling goodies and maybe we can take care of that rock above the DT area thumbs_up.gif

You must have moved over to crack warrior after running laps on Phylynx: didn't see you.

Sean and I dug.

If anybody finds a short handled roofing shovel out there, it's mine. If you see any climber running around with a new (used) roofing shovel- it could very likely have been stolen from me. Please let me know, or ask them to return it to where they stole it from. mad.gif

Don't know if anyone will see this in time, but I'm heading out to rocky soon and should be there around 13:30-14:00 or so. Wife wants to take some pictures, and if I can get a belay partner, even better. =) Silver miata.

Sean 503-515-5746

You must have moved over to crack warrior after running laps on Phylynx: didn't see you.

Sean and I dug.

If anybody finds a short handled roofing shovel out there, it's mine. If you see any climber running around with a new (used) roofing shovel- it could very likely have been stolen from me. Please let me know, or ask them to return it to where they stole it from. mad.gif

Sorry d00d! My parents came into town a day early (I think they wanted to try and catch me with a dirty house or something) so no show on my part frown.gif Next time!