Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No beer plans tonight... have your friend come to the madrone thing for sure. I am doing a thursday session if I get enought interest (that means if you are reading this and interested you need to let me know).

If not this week maybe next week? Hmmm...

Bring yer snorkle! And maybe a trash bag! yellaf.gif

jesus - looking at the radar inspires no confidence in me. guess i'm a frigg'n lamo but i find myself suddenly disinterested in fighting rush hour traffic to slip around in the mud when i could just get some cardio in and jam at da gym. reckon missing out on all this hobo-humping in the drizzle is really gonna hurt my alpine game, eh? smile.gif

when's noah gonna come my way?

Yeah, mucho gracias for the use of ropes that are beginning to blur the line between nylon and wet dirt. The conditions this evening were . . . . er . . rewarding, i guess.

It was great meeting you folks wave.gif, i hope to run into you all again sometime very soon!! THANKS!!

I hear that rain melts the plastic on your ice axes

Well no wonder the bulk of M climbers in WA suck. They all believe that rumor or are too busy going to pub club hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gifyellaf.gifwazzup.gif

Mac and I discussed it and last night was the wettest night either of us could recall... there was a partial waterfall flowing through the tree route route... the ropes must have weighed 20 lbs when we hiked out... ahh the madness.

I will say hopefully in a few weeks I should have enough routes manufactured at the secret drytool location that just so happens to be under a bridge so then no one can use the "it's raining" excuse.

Think 200' to 300' routes!!! fruit.gifhahaha.gifpitty.gifbigdrink.gifyoda.gif

Rocky Butte Improvements: McKenzie (doesn't post on the site but if you've been to dt night you know him) and I built a retaining wall, leveled the ground, put down a bail of hay, and removed some loose rocks from the routes on Sat below the newbie routes. The hay basically eliminates the mud issue (sorry Troy... this might hamper your mud pon research yellaf.gif). Mac donated all the building materials (lumber, stakes, rebar, hay, etc) as well as provided power tools... if you see him at the Madrone Slide Show you should buy him a bigdrink.gif. In leveling the ground the routes are now approximately 4' taller! yellaf.gif I'll try to get out there and take some pics today. thumbs_up.gif

FYI for anyone out there please do not stand/step on top of the retaining wall. Thanks!

PDX DT night sabbatical/new dt area development: Mac and I will be busy developing the new area for approximately the next month (give or take) so I won't have time to hold the weekly session. With that said you all know where the routes are... get out there yourself and enjoy the improvements!

If you are interested in helping develop the new area either by donating some man power or supplies (see the list below) get a hold of me. 503.758.5772 wave.gif

We need:

- wood scraps: prefer dense hard wood scraps in any shape/size. We are using these for holds so we need a ton!

- deck screws. Get a hold of me for size requirements.

- lag bolts: we need a bunch. Get a hold of me for size requirements.

- 1" tubular webbing: the more the merrier. Needs to be black, brown, or grey. No bright colors.

yoda.gif

Love to see people working ! John, I got your deck screws and lag bolts covered.

Not sure what the webbing will be used for , B and D? I have some older ropes I've retired, might work for tying up the sheep or whatever you have in mind???? Let me know.

PM me your lag and deck screw needs, I'll try to rustle the stuff up and hand it off Thurs at the Wayne and Mike slideshow.