• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I'm out for tonight... working SUCKS! yellaf.gifrolleyes.gif :crosseye

Welcome to my world! yellaf.gif

Bit of advice: get married, buy house, have kids. Then the disaster will be complete and the stake will be firmly planted in your heart for at least 20 years until your decrepit old body is too infirm to get out. smirk.gif

Have a nice day.

• 4 weeks later...

I can drytool either night. wave.gif Depending on response I will pick a time.

PM me before 2:30 pm if you plan on attending so we can make arrangements to meet. Don't just show up and hope to find me in the dark...

And if I haven't said it enough times:

- newbies are welcome! you only need a pair of boots to attend! Just let me know what you need to borrow.

- speaking of I have a pair of monsters if anyone wants to try them out

PDX drytool party line: If you want to go regardless of whether or not I scheduled something PM me and I will gladly take you out any time my schedule permits (which during the week is fairly open). yoda.gif

Thanks, John for setting up the drytool sessions this fall. Hope to join you again soon.

Jim Roberts and I put the practice to good use last week in the gorge. First WI climbing (and leading) for both of us. We checked out several places before finding a spot that looked both fun and safe, settling on Post Nasal Drip. We didn't top out but made good progress.

Late night session tonight 12/21 in the gorge 7 pmish - ???

Leaving town around 6:30 pm... can alter this or meet you out there if needed. snugtop.gif

Lessssee, cold and real wet. Hmmm. They gotta be paying you extra for this -?

BTW, take Blake, he says he was out on Beacon last Saturday so he should feel right at home clinging to the iceticles.

(Dru, already patented that word: you are too late.)

my fav image of the night: contemplating the rapidly disintegrating remains of mist falls, john, myself and 2 others peer upwards into the night trying to evaluate the danger level as we stand calf-deep in calved ice-cubes - suddenly, a chunk as big as king-kong's-kock comes roaring down - 4 spray-monkey's head for the exits in 4 directions as i cackle my ass off while trotting downhill - badasses don't die, don't ya know?!?

so it looks like the ice is well and truly fucked for now - hope it gets cold again - that's 3 seasons in a row i've dropped the fawking ball on!

All routes at Rocky were developed by us... we stay off all existing routes (i.e. they are rock climbing routes as Rocky was developed as a rock climbing area years ago). IMO it is bad form to drytool existing rock routes unless the route hasn't been climbing in years and year or you have permission from the route developer.

I have drytooled some existing rock climbing sport routes at Broughton's Bluff (also in Portland) but only because the route developer/FA gave me specific permission to do so.

We generally top rope the routes at Rocky as it speeds things up so everyone gets more laps in but I have led them all minus one with trad gear.

If you are new to drytooling I would highly encourage you to start with top roping, move into sport leading (bolts) and then finally leading with trad gear.

hey just have some questions. I knew to the whole dry tool thing. so do you guys climb established routes or do you place your own pro? I don't have any previous ice lce climbing experience but sounds like fun.

Join them.

Unless you want to lay around here talking about Chongo and NOT climbing. Very unproductive. Bring your rain coat and an Ark cause even the high ground is flooding with the heavy rain today.

Opps, edited to say - wow, long drive, you live in Pull I up?

Edited by billcoe

Well... since you mentioned it... this is one of the top 10 most viewed threads on cc.com to date (though it still doesn't have a rating)... hmmm...

I think a NEW John Frieh Forum would illicit a level of spray so great you would have to buy a server. yellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gifthumbs_up.gifwazzup.gif

However... a NEW PDX events forum might be in order. hahaha.gif

Merry Christmas yoda.gif and Uli! wave.gif