Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's weird. I posted about climbing at the Butte tonight (which I did, but since I worked in the field today, I couldn't check this thread to see who would be there) but I have been planning a day of ice on the Elliot this weekend for about a month now. I have at least 1-2 partners signed on (both newbies so all nobs welcome), but would like to drive up or meet up with others. Sunday looks better weather wise so that would be my preference.

We could meet up there or attemtp a PDX carpool. Who is interested and what logistics make sense?

Fuck yes! Ice on Sunday beeyotches! w000000t! rockband.gifthumbs_up.gifsnugtop.gif

Almost broke my head today at Rocky after both my heel spurs cut loose while hanging upside down... it was a gaper moment! yellaf.gifpitty.gif Speaking of did anyone know the access fund was out at Rocky today cleaning up!?!?!?!?!?! I never heard anything about it...

Doug: I will call you!

YEEEEE HHHAAAAWWWW! fruit.gif

Hey - yes the Rocky Butte adopt-a-crag was today - and I feel crappy because I totally forgot about it until it was too late (but i was stuck working anyway).

But I heard that they hauled off like 25 hefty bags worth of garbage. Didn't have enough people to work on any real route or trail maintenance though.

The Broughton's adopt-a-crag is in a couple weeks - Sept 25th I believe. i can get more info and post here if you'd like.

Bummer...I had no idea there was a Butte cleanup this weekend.

Spent the weekend working in my garage.

Donated a couple of truckloads worth of stuff to GoodWill.

Got the gear room fairly well sorted.

Got all of our tools organized.

Got the bikes up.

Got the dive gear up.

Sharpened the tools and 'pons.

I hadn't heard either. I'm glad that "trails" weren't put in, I like it like it is.

I was feeling all tweeky last week, and it hasn't gotten better.

Big shoulder pain and right foot pain. I tried taping the foot and wearing board lasted shoes for the foot, went up to try and boulder yesterday, and using only the outside of the right foot it still hurt. Got about 5 min in and quit.

I'm out unless somebody begs for a belay and I can be there for you.

I can wear my "Will Belay for Sex" t-shirt, which of course doesn't apply to guys.

Get the feeling that winter is here, the days are getting so short, weekday climbing may not be happening next week. So grab it while it's there.

Fuck yes! Ice on Sunday beeyotches! w000000t! rockband.gifthumbs_up.gifsnugtop.gif

That was a ton of fun, thanks Doug and John. I might just have to make some room in the budget for some tools. See you at drytool night soon .

You guys must have had a great time up there with good weather.

Share with us!

(BTW, Camillo, thanks for the offer to borrow your cyclocross bike to do a race, it's really appreciated, but the only person I race anymore is my wife to the coffee pot in the morning ! grin.gif

Share with us!

Doug's pics from Sunday:

Hoodie N Face (Yes it is coming in for some fall action!)

1085IMGP0373-med.JPG

Camilo gets his first taste of ice

1085IMGP0381-med.JPG

The bitch wishing for some rock to drytool cry.gifyellaf.gif

1085IMGP0386-med.JPG

FYI: the ice lines Ivan named Triple C last year have started forming but with the recent weather will likely dissappear unless the freezing level drops this week. Still some nice fall WI should be coming in! If anyone goes up there could they report conditions in either this thread or perhaps start one in the ice climbing forum?

Finally I am headed up there this weekend. If you are interested in going (either day) get a hold of me!

ICE rockband.gif

Is anyone planning to go out for some dry rock tonight? maybe the Butte or Bluff?

-JCarsey

Not me. see above. Should be in a bar talking about climbing if that matters though. It's the next best thing.

Nolse: thanks for sharing, tell Doug GREAT PICS DUDE! You're going back next week, I guess you didn't get enough:-)

I'd like to see GaperJeffys face when he sees that fresh snow up there.

I'm interested. I'm into doing something at Beacon or what ever. I'm coming off a year off so I'm into moderates right know (8,9,10s) until I get strong. Let me know if your interested. I'd also be interested in going bouldering anytime. I'm available on the weekends. the_finger.gif

Hey all, sorry for the delay, but I was up in leavenworth all week.

Here's some info on the Broughton's cleanup:

When:

Sunday, September 25, 2005.

starting at 9:00 AM (or maybe it was 9:30).

and going until 2:30PM

Where: Lewis & Clark State Park a.k.a. Broughton's Bluff

What: Crag clean-up, trail maintenance, etc.

Plan on wearing some work clothes, and bring some work gloves. check the weather and dress accordingly - the work will happen rain or shine.

Last year we did a lot of erosion-prevention work on the main trail from the park up to the cliffs, plus some trail cleanup out by bat wall. There's also usually an effort to clean up any unsightly gear that is stuck on routes (i.e. the cam that was stuck on sheer stress for years - there are some mangled stuck cams on both Gandalf's & No Friction right now that could probably come out with some work with the right tools).

This event is usually sponsored by REI, clif bar, etc - so volunteers can usually expect to get some free clif bars, coffee, etc while they're there working.

And once the work is done, people usually string up a few climbs of varying difficulty for everyone to play on, so bring your harness, shoes, and gear too.

hope to see lots of folks out there.

http://www.accessfund.org/regions/aac/OR