Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next session is Tuesday March 22th 3:30ish – pump. I know at least one person that can't make this night so I will likely have a second night Wednesday if enough people request it. Please PM me if you are planning on attending/interested (specify which night you would like) and what, if any, gear you need to borrow. Newbies are welcome and encouraged.

As always:

cell: 541.231.2062

alphanumeric: 888.267.5727

445202-sam16.jpg

445202-sam16.jpg.3a296f4c747644b2dadbbd24802c98b7.jpg

Edited by NOLSe

No drytool session the week of March 27th - April 2nd (unless someone else steps up and organizes wazzup.gif)... sorry! I'll try to have one the week of April 3rd - 9th.

In case you haven't noticed it is staying light out much later these days... time to shake off that winter rust and get in shape for the looming summer! PDXers unite! wave.gif

445861-ghttl.jpg

445861-ghttl.jpg.b05b2cb3f105e4530383cb23ebb4991a.jpg

Edited by NOLSe

I have never seen crazier weather out here. One of Wallowa counties best ice climbs is in and fat (phat). I have never seen it climabale due to the fact that it is usally a death trap with avy or scary cornices it is also mostly burried until it is to soft to climb. We have had good freeze/thaw cycles lately and some good warm periods to melt the snow and add to ice. I belive the climb to be a FA...but I am not positive. The climb involves about a 2 hour uphill slog approach and about 400 feet of climbing, 5 or 6 steps with steep snow in between. The biggest step is maybe 40 feet of vertical WI3/4. RBW & I got intimidated on the first step and bailed early season but it looks like it is in much better shape now.

I would like a partner to swap leads. My work has been ridicously demanding lately and I have not gotten out much but this is to sweet 'a peach not to go for. I post this offer on this thread because I would really prefer to climb with someone I know or I may top rope solo it myself. The best time for me would be to bivy Monday night and climb at Oh-dark thirty Tuesday morning. I am willing to adjust my schedule for the right partner. The time is upon us because the ice may not last. If you would like to finish your ice season with somthing significant and don't mind the long drive out here please PM me; leave your phone number and I'll call.

Cheers, steve

Anybody interested in going this weekend... Saturday or Sunday? Rocky Butte, Horse thief, the gorge, etc... PM me today or if it's later then that give me a call.

As always:

cell: 541.231.2062

alphanumeric: 888.267.5727

447772-15.jpg

447772-15.jpg.6b52da4c9d66744f146527d66d53d41a.jpg

Edited by NOLSe

• 2 weeks later...

Next session will be Tuesday April 11th 3:30ish – pump. McKenzie and I should also be out there Wednesday and Thursday this week (unless Kurt calls me!) so if you are interested in joining us on any of those days give me a shout! Don't forget: you don't need to have anything beyond a pair of boots and some interest... I have extra pons, tools, etc...

Also: as I finally chewed my leg off and escaped the clutches of cube farming I will not be surfing the net all day so the best way to get a hold of me is my cell: 541.231.2062. Holla!

When's the next session? Might want to come out.

Regrettably I will be climbing up north all week so I can't make it out there this week unless the weather turns shitty and I come back early. Ivan knows where all the routes are out there so if you bug him I bet he'd be stoked to show off his mad drytooling skills... magical crampons or not... hahaha.gif Hey Ivan! Organize something!

Colorado chick, McKenzie and I enjoyed 4 hours of dt goodness in the hail, rain, and mud yesterday pitty.gif

I should be around to organize one for Thursday night this week... anybody interested? Ivan: can you hold one Wednesday or Tuesday this week? I know Mac can come out... Post something if you think you are going to...

From Sunday:

Jason (Illini) working the flake

4479jasonflake.JPG

Jason (Illini) on 8 stitches

4479jason.JPG

Mac on 8 stitches

4479mckenzie.JPG

the bitch

4479thebitch.JPG

PS: It is staying light quite late these days... where are all the people who said they would climb once it stayed light out later? wave.gif

Next session will be Tuesday May 10th 3:30ish – pump. Don't forget: you don't need to have anything beyond a pair of boots and some interest... I have extra pons, tools, etc... just let me know!

And as it is staying light out plenty late these days you can't use that "I don't climb in the dark" excuse anymore so unless you PDX turds are willing to admit to an American Idol obsession pitty.gif I expect to see more of you out there!

541.231.2062. Holla!