Alpiners Anonymous: PDX dry tool night

John Frieh

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll poll people this week to see what night people prefer... I'd be happy to organize 2 different sessions a week if people can't settle on one. As far as which night we meet next week let's wait and see what people like before we start advertising a certain night. Personally I would like to avoid Thursdays as I tend leave for WA Thursday nights for weekends that I skip out on work Fridays. Wednesday and Tuesday nights work better for me.

Layton (and everybody else): Ivan is usually there first at 3:30; I tend to roll in between 3:30 and 4 and we go until people have had enough. I don't want to stay later than 9ish though... so get your butt there as soon as you can.

And FYI all: 3 separate protests scheduled for today downtown so avoid the guaranteed traffic mess.

And as always:

cell: 541.231.2062

alphanumeric: 888.267.5727

good session this week, though the landing zone below the climbs is turning into a freak'n mosh-pit...need to get some of the smiff-type organizers to fix it up.

w/ crampons that new way uphill just left of the climbs was nice n' easy...almost FELT alpine for a second smile.gif

how late the rest of you stay?

How many showed last night? Sounded like several additional peeps were expecting to go and wondering where the hell you stuffed everyone. Prolly not going to be hard to outgrow that small stance. Any pics?

We can dump the original plan of Wed, I don't have any reoccuring thing that keeps me from any one night so Tuesday or Thursday is ok. Tues might make more sense though for what Nolse said about sometimes heading out on a Thursday... but, makes no diff to me. thumbs_up.gif

i'll come wendsday if i can...it's exam week here at school - kinda busy failing people and being the grim, recalcitrant face of death right 'bout now.

Is it the same one you make when you try the lefthand lieback crack? hahaha.gifyellaf.gifwink.gif

Wednesday the 26th is the plan... please notify me by pm that you are coming and if you need to borrow anything. I was out there last night and the crag was actually dry... saw some kids on the silver bullet wall... people might want to bring rock shoes if they are interested in taking advantage of this dry weather.

I tried out the new line Mac cleaned earlier this week... mommy! I am so sore today.

I have a meeting until 3 and have to pick up pandora and ajm so I should be there closer to 4ish. So far I have 3 definite and 1 maybe which will give us a total of 6 or 7. That's right turds... more girls than a PDX or Seattle Pub club (unless you count Dave Schuldt hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gif). Better get your self some tools!

Please pm me if you are considering attending so I can ensure we have enough top ropes.

Forecast

As always:

cell: 541.231.2062

alphanumeric: 888.267.5727

Alright peoples,

This weeks session was nothing short of awesome. Ivan was on fire, Tim cut shit up, Pandora was very nearly unstoppable, ajm left on-lookers speachless, Doug dazzled, and of course, NOLSe put us all to shame with his mad dry toolin' skills. It was, well, it was just another session.

P2010014.jpg

Hannah, showing us how it's done

P2010037.jpg

Tim, the new send-bot

P2010019.jpg

The legend himself, NOLSe busting out some M9

p.s. I think I got everyone's name right, but if not, I apologize.

p.p.s. If you feel the need to relive the moment, more pictures are available here. There are some decent picture of all y'all, so check it out.

drytoolin with leashes!!!! Ive seen that done once before and felt sorry for the fella, BUT was also quite impressed!!!

If its that warm out (looks warm if youre climbing in shortsleeves) bust out your rock shoes as a way to focus more on your upper body technique. Plus its fun in a different kinda way!

Glad you are all having fun with it. I am really fond of Dt'ing myself.

Nice pics Matt! wave.gif

Carolyn: a number of the people attending are trying out drytooling more for the opportunity to be a little more familiar/prepared for any DTing they might encounter on an alpine route(s)... hence the leashes (as most of us are leashed up there). Additionally it’s a good chance to see what one can or can’t do with various combinations… I myself regularly test drive as many possible combinations that I might have in the alpine: different glove combos, mono, dual, leashed, spurs, no spurs... I think it’s a good idea for anyone to try out possible gear combinations in the safety/sanity of TR instead of an impromptu introduction on route.

Hope to see some more new faces next week! wave.gifwazzup.gifbigdrink.gif