Uses for Retired Gear

EWolfe

There's been tons of talk about uses for retired ropes,

but what about the gear?

I have used retired quickdraws for directional clips on FA projects.

I presume, given enough gear, one could get some $$ for the aluminum, what with the beer cans and all. tongue.gif

Stoppers and cams as dog leash anchors.

Discuss.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take any and all old gear. Name your price. PM me with what you got.

Especially interested in wooden handled ice axes and anything Chouinard.

I've got some truly ancient hexes that I think are Chouinard. Some are even made of brass rather than aluminum. Of course they are radially symmetrical, like the machine nuts from which they evolved.

Count me in as interested in old and strange gear - it all needs to come back out of retirement. Why would you retire unbroken metal gear anyway? Can't you carry it all? cool.gif

Old alien that the cable is spongey, stoppers with frayed wires, retired 'biners (you would still use the same 'biners after 17 years? hellno3d.gif), small aid pieces that aren't used anymore, etc.

There is no way I would pass along potentially hazardous gear. thumbs_down.gif

Old ropes make great tow ropes - they streatch instead of jerking the cars arround. Not so good used in a pully system to get the car back on the rd - same thing, they streatch w/o moving the car much.

I've used my lost arrow to skewer my oil filter so I could turn the damn oily thing. I've added a notch so I can use it as a bottle opener.

Old gear is still good to use when hanging gear away from goats. Remember though they can realy streatch when standing on their hind legs.

You can still use nuts as nut placements - sling the whole thing.

Old cams are good to use when you need to expand a flake to retrieve a good cam (placed/repositioned by your newbie belay slave).

Old slings still make good etriers and car tow anchors.

I can't think of anything I have not actualy tried, sorry.

Take a few medium size hexes out to your car and find one that will stuff into one of those empty slots in your dash. Now put the lip an old chalk bag into the slot and use the hex to keep it wedged in there. Voila now you have another can holder for your favorite beverage! This works great!

Step 1) Grow your beard out

Step 2) Put on wool knickers and 1930's genre mountaineer clothing

Step 3) Stage some shots of yourself placing gear on Heinous Cling whilst climbing in old hiking boots

Step 4) Get some black and white shots of yourself on lead

Step 5) After developing the shots go into photoshop and brush out any modern bolts

Step 6) Viola, instant ancestor photo of Grandpappy sending Heinous Cling on natural gear in hiking boots decades before anyone named Watts came along

Step 7) (Optional) Start a website based on the <name deleted> model and claim your "ancestor" sent many of the most famous problems long before the likes of the Beckeys, Watts, or that Layton dude - with photographic proof!

Edited by Off_White