Strobach/White Pass/Chinook Pass conditions

Alex

went into strobach on saturday. deep powdery snow over no base. made for great sledding but miserable snowshoeing. climbs are "(th)in" with only Sad Cebu, Sudden Change, Ice Dreams, and First on the Left in climbable shape by mortals. full day even with the sled. it was warmer than expected.

horsetail falls is (th)in, TRable and soloable.

clear creek falls is in.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

....horsetail falls is (th)in, TRable and soloable.

So, Alex, those must have been your tracks that led over to the park bench, then? We got there about 1:30-ish on Saturday, and pecked it up pretty good. Half a dozen laps or so, each.

How did you manage to cover so much ground in one day? Strobach, Clear Creek, and Little Naches? Did you happen to check out Union Creek at all?

we did strobach saturday, 8am from milk creek to 6pm back. not recommended anyone go in there right now w/o sled, the routes are just not worth that much work right now. travel from 609 road to routes is very very slow and tedious. if the cold weather continues, though, this might be one of the better years up there

horsetail Sunday am, we did a bunch of drytooling to the left and right of the falls, good workout. we didnt climb clear creek this weekend, just scoped it out Sunday afternoon for the future.

Cragg and I were discussing the installation of chain anchors for TR at Horsetail, but the rock looks a bit too insecure for bolts. But it sure would beat that BS of the 60-foot sling for the top anchor. Did you look at the rock on top at all or have you thought of the feasibility of this action?

i think you could, the rock is certainly solid enough, however horsetail is a very popular tourist spot so i think putting any type of permanent anchor where it might be visible from below would probably be not worth it

we just used a 60m rope and went straight off the trees with no problem

the drytooling up the left and right was really fantastic

i think you could, the rock is certainly solid enough, however horsetail is a very popular tourist spot so i think putting any type of permanent anchor where it might be visible from below would probably be not worth it

we just used a 60m rope and went straight off the trees with no problem

the drytooling up the left and right was really fantastic

When you say "straight off the trees", do you mean that you were using a short (relatively) sling from the tree, with the biners quite near to the tree? Did your rope stay (mostly) dry that way, or did it saw thru the top of the falls and get messy? We ran about 30 feet or more from the tree to the lip of the falls, and our rope stayed pretty dry.

We did dry-tool laps on both sides of the ice, too, after we got in a few laps on what ice there was.

I was trying a stacked tools manuever, and my planted axe came busting right out. I pitched backwards, still on my feet, and, forgetting for a brief moment that I was on TR, flailed wildly with my tools and managed to stick 'em back in before I weighted the rope. That was kind of a wierd feeling... Kind of like when you lean back in a chair and it starts to fall over, and you catch yourself just at the last second blush.gif