Climbing Magazine threatened me!!

chucK

...so I went through the mail today and got this unmarked envelope from FLA. It's related to some deal from climbing Magazine.

A while back they write that they'd send me a free sample issue and I could subscribe or not.

I say, "cool I'll fill out this postcard for a free issue of Climbing".

They send me their yearly "Gear Guide" advertising bulletin.

Now they send me notes every month or so.

Now this one says that it's, "IMPORTANT YOU COOPERATE WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY." And I'd better get on the stick, "In the interest of maintaining your good credit rating with us".

This is SO uncool. Loser lame lousy loosaphone dude [Roll Eyes] . Do all magazines do this kinda crap? Freakin' strongarm tactics [Mad][laf] . I've never had this happen before. Climbing magaziners are stupid. That's what i say. [Mad][Moon]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, its a common publishing schtick, and Climbing is owned by a larger corporation these days. Tell them in exchange for helping their circ stats for the all-advertisement issue you feel they owe you a year's subscription. They're just demanding payment, not sending you the goods are they?

All they ever write about in those climbing rags is the latest sport climbing binge or speed climb on el cap type shit.

How about some real in depth articles that aren't about how the crux of Dicknex in Tex 5.15a was sent by gastoning sidepulling dynoing and whatever.

Here's to the climbing rags --> [Moon]

The regurgitated crap from them got old after one season. I get better gear reviews and climbing tips here anyways. [sNAFFLEHOUND]

[ 10-14-2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

...so I went through the mail today and got this unmarked envelope from FLA. It's related to some deal from climbing Magazine.

A while back they write that they'd send me a free sample issue and I could subscribe or not.

I say, "cool I'll fill out this postcard for a free issue of Climbing".

They send me their yearly "Gear Guide" advertising bulletin.

Now they send me notes every month or so.

Now this one says that it's, "
IMPORTANT YOU COOPERATE WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY
." And I'd better get on the stick, "
In the interest of maintaining your good credit rating with us
".

This is
SO
uncool. Loser lame lousy loosaphone dude
[Roll Eyes]
. Do all magazines do this kinda crap? Freakin' strongarm tactics
[Mad][laf]
. I've never had this happen before. Climbing magaziners are stupid. That's what i say.
[Mad][Moon]

There's usually some jingus fine print (isn't there always?) with those offers, like "We'll send you the free issue, then if you don't want the subscription, call us to cancel it, otherwise we'll assume you want the subscrip, and will bill you accordingly."

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

There's usually some jingus fine print (isn't there always?) with those offers, like "We'll send you the free issue, then if you don't want the subscription, call us to cancel it, otherwise we'll assume you want the subscrip, and will bill you accordingly."

Nothing on the original postcard. Maybe in future correspondence, but I promptly binned all those. I never take those deals where they give you all the free stuff but you have to cancel later if you don't want to get billed. My life is too much of clusterF to toss in a bunch of little time bombs. I read that original postcard thoroughly. No language implying that I must do anything to cancel.

I don't mind all the little pleasant reminders that I'm "missing out on a great deal" (too much). But now that is getting threatening-sounding it pisses me off [Mad] . Climbing magazine SUCKS [Mad] ,

as do as all strongarm deceptive marketers.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

All they ever write about in those climbing rags is the latest sport climbing binge or speed climb on el cap type shit.

How about some real in depth articles that aren't about how the crux of Dicknex in Tex 5.15a was sent by gastoning sidepulling dynoing and whatever.

Here's to the climbing rags -->
[Moon]

The regurgitated crap from them got old after one season. I get better gear reviews and climbing tips here anyways.
[sNAFFLEHOUND]

How about the Epics issue (zero sport content), or the Scottish ice climbing article in the last issue, and wasn't there something about the Himalayas as well, and of course our very own Ryland Moore's commentary on gumby overcrowding in the mountains?

Perhaps if you were to actually read the mags instead of just recycling what you heard about them ... [Roll Eyes]

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Here's to the climbing rags -->
[Moon]

The regurgitated crap from them got old after one season. I get better gear reviews and climbing tips here anyways.
[sNAFFLEHOUND]

How about the Epics issue (zero sport content), or the Scottish ice climbing article in the last issue, and wasn't there something about the Himalayas as well, and of course our very own Ryland Moore's commentary on gumby overcrowding in the mountains?

Perhaps if you were to actually
read
the mags instead of just recycling what you
heard
about them ...
[Roll Eyes]
Listen Dickhead Flop AnAsshole,

I read them and I dont like epic stories much. Never going to Scotland so I dont really care about that either. You are talking about articles in like 3-4 different issues. I am suggesting all of that in one instead of the redundant advertising. The only good thing in those issues sometimes is the Gallery.

Oh yeah and the last time I checked fuckwad I was entitled to my opinion. [Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK: I don't mind all the little pleasant reminders that I'm "missing out on a great deal" (too much). But now that is getting threatening-sounding it pisses me off
[Mad]
. Climbing magazine SUCKS
[Mad]

as do as all strongarm deceptive marketers.[/QB]

With any of those ad mailings that have a pre-paid business reply envelope, just take all the crap they sent you, add a little written abuse, include any other garbage you have laying around, and send it all back to them and let them pay for the postage again. According to my local postmaster, you can no longer tape those things to bricks to increase the postage due, but he gave a big thumbs up for including anything (legal materials only) you want in the envelope.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

With any of those ad mailings that have a pre-paid business reply envelope, just take all the crap they sent you, add a little written abuse, include any other garbage you have laying around, and send it all back to them and let them pay for the postage again. According to my local postmaster, you can no longer tape those things to bricks to increase the postage due, but he gave a big thumbs up for including anything (legal materials only) you want in the envelope.

Right on! I did that recently with something I got from the Republicans! Climbing didn't send any postage-paid envelopes 'cause Climbing SUCKS as they are strongarm deceptive marketeers.

Credit card companies do the same stupid thing... they call yout house...

"Do you want to try our fee no money secuity blah blah blah.... and then after 60 days we will charge the low price of .40$ a day, call to cancel any time"

God forbid you forgrt to call to cancel. In three months your over your credit limit and hittin' the skids [Razz] NOTHING IS REALY FOR FREE!

IMHO I don't realy sit down and read climbing or rock and ice. on occasion there is an artical that interest me and Imight read it, but by and large I have to agree with Cavey. unless you realy care what Lisa Rands and Chris Sharma are climbing, the rags are sort of boring. If I need gear advice I ask here or one of my more knowledgable friends. I do Like the photos though [big Grin]

"[To my esteemed colleague Dr. Flash Amazing],

I read them and I dont like epic stories much. Never going to Scotland so I dont really care about that either. You are talking about articles in like 3-4 different issues. I am suggesting all of that in one instead of the redundant advertising. The only good thing in those issues sometimes is the Gallery.

Oh yeah and the last time I checked [my good friend] I was entitled to my opinion."

DFA was just pointing out that it's not all sport climbing in there, ese. If you don't like any of the content, then say that. You make it sound like it's some evil sport climber conspiracy to keep all the non-sport content out of the mags.

Fortunately for the Doctor, he likes reading about hairball alpine madness, runout big-wall tradness, dyno-hucking bouldering badness, and sicko sport radness equally. Maybe, given your disdain for the mainstream mags, you should subscribe to the AAJ or some such?

Peace, vato. [sNAFFLEHOUND]

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

I responded to the same offer, ChucK. When my bill came, I wrote "CANCEL" across it in big letters and sent it back. Haven't heard a word. They usually give you these instructions in small print, otherwise they start billing you.

Ditto for me, 3 times in the last 2 years. They usually send me the previous month's issue.

I don't buy them just because they are so dang expensive and seem to mostly be filled with advertising. You can look at the Tech tips and gear reviews on thier website anyway. [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Chuck, like Greg, after receiving my complimentary issue of Barney's Funtime magazine, I wrote
this sux, take me off your list
all over the bill. They now threaten to take away my super-dooper Halloween issue without immediate payment. I hate those guys!

I thought it was the "Super De Dooper" Halloween issue. Man, now I'm way bummed.

quote:

"[To my esteemed colleague Dr. Flash Amazing],

Oh yeah and the last time I checked [my good friend] I was entitled to my opinion."

DFA was just pointing out that it's not all sport climbing in there,
ese.
If you don't like any of the content, then say that. You make it sound like it's some evil sport climber conspiracy to keep all the non-sport content out of the mags.

Fortunately for the Doctor, he likes reading about hairball alpine madness, runout big-wall tradness, dyno-hucking bouldering badness, and sicko sport radness equally. Maybe, given your disdain for the mainstream mags, you should subscribe to the AAJ or some such?

Peace,
vato.
[sNAFFLEHOUND]

I am saying what I want to here dork. I have a mind of my own. WHy dont you give advice to someone else who wants it? [Moon]

I got a postcard from PLAyBoy mag and i had to send it BACK to them if i didn't want a free years subscription. Interesting tactic...

I pretended to not see the postcard, and after the deadline had passed said something to becky like "Holy shit, those bastards!" she saw right through my plot, but I get nudy magazine day once a month (as many visitors to chez gapertimmy have happily found out)

quote:

Originally posted by Crackbolter:

Climbing Magazine sues Rock and Ice:

Climbing Magazine Publisher Sues Competitor Rock & Ice

"They've stolen our claim to highest ad to content ratio"

"Primedia (media behemoth) is outraged at the calculated attack launched by Rock & Ice to usurp Climbing magazines prime position in the drivel market", says Montgomery Wolfe senior Outdoorsy magazine marketdroid at Primedia. "We've carefully cowtowed to our advertisers for years - even special editorials! And this is how the repay us? We'll fight them the only way we know how - via lawyers! Hell with this making a better magazine crap, then we might have to give something to the community."

Duane Raliegh, formerly of Climbing magazine, fires back. "For years now, neither Climbing nor Rock & Ice, have been giving the customer what they want - more ad pages, more often. Sure we had that big burst in the late 90's. But the dotcoms have folded, and we're not as chic as we were. The new Rock & Ice will fight this trend - new fashion spreads on bouldering clothes, streaming video of Dave Graham 24*7 on our website, and of course, more ads. Plus we'll give you 3 more issues a year (of course we'll have the same number of articles & pictures, just stretch them a little thinner)"

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by sisu suomi:

Dr. fuck face amazing, go fuck a duck
[Moon]

Hmmm ... what seems to have gotten your goat today, young man? Dr. Flash Amazing can't seem to recall exchanging a single word with you, let alone anything that might have caused you to spit such invectives.

[Confused]
First let me tel you that sisu is likely been climbing in the cascades since I was born. He may not bee too young but he is a rough and tough character. I tie into the rope with him on cool mountains all the time.

Overall I think he took your initial comments as offensively as I did. I stated my opinion and just because you disagree does not mean you need to say something about it. This is not really a debate. It's a statement. Get it.

Therefore with you response and such I would not speak for sisu but only speculate that he was pissed that you were trying to say that I was sick of sport climbing and such. As well as trying to thwart my commments as disillusioned.

Who knows for sure [Confused] But maybe your speculation persona and master of all criticism attitude should just chill.

Caveman, you're hardly the arbiter of cool-headed reasonability, and hardly innocent of brashly interjecting your opinion, either, so you're welcome to step down from your tall pony. This is an internet message board, and usually when people see something that they agree with, disagree with, want to make fun of, are stoked about, or whatever, they say something. If it's way too much for you to have someone respond negatively to something you post here, you're taking it way too seriously.

All the Doctor did in the first place was point out that climbing mags do in fact run a good bit of alpine and trad stuff, and not just sport climbing fluff (which is what you seemed peeved about). This was followed up by a little good-natured ribbing about reading the mags yourself. This site would be drier than a mouthful of chalk without the little jabs that get traded back and forth all the time. Why turn that into such serious anger? It doesn't mean shit.

As far as Dr. Flash Amazing changing his persona; fat chance. If a couple people can't see through the ridiculously overblown ego and realize it's just theatrics and want to take DFA so seriously as to flip their shit, well, that's their deal. Makes it kind of tough to just relax and talk shit on the internet, but so it goes.

[sNAFFLEHOUND]

[ 10-14-2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]