Denali sleeping bag?

rockermike

I've got a chance to get a killer deal on a TNF -20 F sleeping bag (Solar Flare at 45% of retail), but is -20 sufficient for Denali? Or should I just bite the bullet (like an extra $450) to get a full on -40F? (Lets say early June trip)

thx

Edited by rockermike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-20 bag in early June should be fine, and should prove to be far more versatile in the long run for other objectives. I've used a -10 on Denali in June, and it was more than adequate, not to mention lighter and cheaper.

I actually used a rock wren inside a 10 degree bag. This works really well, because you really only need to add the second bag at 14 or above. The other cool thing is that you can use both bags in lots of other circumstances, not just on Denali or on big cold expeditions.

Jason

Edited by Jason_Martin

another data point, i'd agree that the solar flare should be all you need. (i might have a different opinion if you were going in april or something). one note on using lightweight bags per colin's suggestion, keep in mind that with a lower-volume bag, it may be warmer NOT to wear a ton of clothes inside if your layers are so bulky that they start to compress the down from the inside. i've often found it warmer (when trying to extend the season of my summer bag) to drape a jacket over like a blanket than to wear it inside.

• 2 weeks later...

At the last minute, before my trip to Denali in June 1999, I chose to take a synthetic bag. I used the TNF Darkstar (-40). It was only marginally heavier that the Solar Flare and Inferno (at the time). Bulk wasn't an issue either. I just figured it would be nice to not have to worry about getting it wet from frost in the tent/cooking in the tent/plus dromedary bag filled with hot water going in the bag hahaha.gif. My two partners took synthetic as well and we were all happy with the choice.

Also, you shouldn't rule out the potential for a couple rainy nights on the Kahiltna in June...

• 2 weeks later...