More olympic winter camping questions

Camilo

Hi, sorry for the repost from the last camping thread. I'm headed up there this weekend for some camping with a friend. Neither of us are mountaineers so I'm just looking for a cool place to snowshoe in, camp, and snowshoe out. Since it looks like it's going to be snowy this weekend, there probably won't be much for views. The ocean would also be cool. I haven't been up in that area for years, what suggestions do you have for a short 2 day trip? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Log Camp is about six miles in on the Staircase trail. If you are up to it, you could hike up to Flapjack Lakes, which is right below the Sawtooth Ridge. It is a beautiful place any time of the year. It would be four miles in on the Staircase trail, and then head uphill at the Flapjacks/black and white lakes junction. Another four miles sees you at Flapjack.

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the forecast and:

OLYMPICS- WASHINGTON CASCADES NEAR AND WEST OF THE CREST STEVENS

PASS SOUTHWARD-

Considerable avalanche danger above 6000 feet and moderate below.

Gradually increasing danger Friday afternoon becoming considerable

above 5000 feet and moderate below. Danger remaining considerable

above 5000 feet for Saturday, slowly decreasing Saturday night.

I'm guessing Flapjack lakes also has a lot of avy terrain. Since I've never been to any of these places before, and visibility might not be so good, how safe would it be for me to be to be wandering around out there. Should I go to the beach instead, or is there easy routefinding at any of these two places?

There's not really any avy danger up to the lakes as you're in the trees the whole time. Should you decide to venture up higher from there you'll probably run into some questionable slopes, but it's easy to stay in safe terrain. Have fun wherever you go.

I was up on Elinor last Monday and was able to drive all the way to the upper trailhead with chains on my van. I don't know how much it's changed since then.

Elinor is on the way to Staircase. We hiked up the chute and wished we had gone the "summer route" as it was hard to kick in steps. Somebody had camped shortly after the two routes split.

You can probably do better. Weekends get a lot of quads and 4wd enthusiasts. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Crap. My overnighter just turned into a day trip. Anyone have any good day trip suggestions? Anywhere from Seattle, for tomorrow, snowshoeing.

I've been eyeing wagonwheel lake trail which gives access to ridges above mildred. never been there, just an idea.