Retrocalcaneal Bursitis, or "Pump Bump"?

Chad_A

Well, after some research, this is what I have. I visited a podiatrist a year ago, and he noted that I had spurs on the back of my heelbones a year ago; he didn't mention a particular name for them, but said that it's a difficult thing to have removed (read: achilles tendon detached, the bone spur sawed off, and the achilles tendon reattached), followed by up to 6 months of difficult physical therapy.

So, I've ruled that out. I'm going to try light doses of aspirin to help out (can't do Ibu/Aleve, due to nasty reactions I have to it), and I'm going to try to ice them at least semi-religiously to help with the inflammation.

I was wondering if anyone else has or had this problem, and what they did about it. Also, I was thinking of finding someone to stretch my climbing boots away from the affected area, to decrease the inflammation, and prevent further damage. If anyone has some good input on any of this, speak up.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with my left heel that sounds similar. It started a few years ago when I took a fall that tweaked my achilles pretty bad... ever since then there's been this weird bump back there.

A year later I went to a rather impatient doctor who was certain it was just really bad tendonitis and recomended calf/achilles stretches and better shoe insoles. I'm still fairly sure it's a bone spur (I mean, come on... I can feel it with my finger) but the pain has pretty much dissapeared with regular stretching and superfeet insoles. I still can't wear a climbing shoe with tight "slingshot" style rands or deep heel cup on my left foot, but mountaineering boots aren't a problem.