A Quick Explanation on Website Problems

jon

I felt it might be necessary to explain to everyone the current state of the website, we know there is a lot of stuff not working right now and we are attempting to resolve all of these issues. Unfortunately the timing was kind of bad for us, and since this isn't our job, finding the time to fix everything has been difficult and we apologize for this. I also apologize to everyone who I haven't either returned PMs or email to, the immense amount of support mail we receive makes it difficult to get back to everyone.

The current problems we have right now boil down to two things. First is my botched upgrade with the photo gallery that resulted in some lost files. As many of you are aware there are pictures missing from most of the old trip reports. Thankfully the original files aren't gone, just the sized down version used in the trip report, so we will be able to restore those it's just a matter of figuring out the easiest way to do it, but they will be back and I apologize to those people who took so much time making those trip reports. The second problem arose when we upgraded the message board, which resulted in two things. A lot of the neat features that cc.com has, like the trip report index, being able to add in pictures from the gallery, the integration with the front page, and the latest 25 posts/TRS, the Paypal subscription feature, all were written by Tim. Unfortunately he didn't discover until after the upgrade that the company that makes the message board made a number of modifications that will essentially require him to relearn how the message board works and write his hacks from scratch. To compound on that, the upgrade itself turned out to have tons of bugs which I'm sure you are all aware of. Basically we have been kind of in a holding pattern to receive the update to the message board from Infopop, the company that makes UBB, before we embark on fixing all of this crap, because they very well could change their code again.

I've had a lot of people ask about the PayPal thing. We'll definitely get that thing back up, we might try and find a short term solution, so just sit tight. We definitely appreciate everyones support.

As you all can imagine this whole website has been quite a learning experience, and in this case we definitely learned some lessons, well at least I did. While I'm sure none of this has seriously inconvenienced any of your lives, there are a lot of people who spend a lot of time here and find a lot of value in what we have here, and rest assured we will eventually get all this stuff fixed.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jon and Timmay. thumbs_up.gif This is a great resource for me. cool.gif

On the issue of photos in the old TR's, etc., I noticed that just a couple numbers changed in the link to the Gallery and one can restore the link by going back to the picture in the Gallery and recopying and inserting the new address. So, if people want to fix their own work, they can just do it that way.