One Piece Suit

Buckaroo

Tax return is burning a hole in the pocket. What are some opinions on one piece down suits? Was thinking about a long winter attempt on Rainier and maybe eventually Denali. Small, low body fat and starting to feel the cold with my age.

The only thing I'm worried about is the down getting wet, but I guess you carry the thing to high camp and just use it on summit day.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would never use one on Rainier, unless it was midwinter and really COLD weather, and even then...I would think twice about it. Venting seems to be key in the mid-lattitudes.

Have used a one-piece a lot in AK, but am still conflicted. You've really gotta have your system down well to avoid delays caused by dealing with changing temps and weather--and dealing suit adjustments (top down and tied around waist, or up; lots of zippers, too). All other clothing underneath must match up accesswise, in order to get into things for quick "business." I almost think bibs are the way to go for AK...and they work OK for Rainier, too.

My .02's.

Don't buy one for moutaineering. Not versatile enough for reasons previously stated. Use seperate tops & bottoms. They are OK for ice climbing (less bulk around waist for harness) & resort skiing (keeps the pow out if you yard sale).

1 piece long underwear aren't bad though for winter use. Quite a bit more comfortable with less bunching around the waist. Just be sure you are not going to overheat wearing them.

dude, please don't be lame and buy this thing.

you would get -1,000,000 style points.

be a man and get a regular down jacket. and you really need to reconsider going outside if you require leg insulation of that caliber. very uncool. warmer poly-pro and a shell should be fine, else get in your sleeping bag.

if it's cold enough for that suite on Rainier, you should be climbing all the ice in washington that should be in 1st!

p.s. shorts over poly pro, vests, unnessesary gaitors,and one piece goretex suits are also alpine fashion no-nos....oh same goes for walkie talkies and leather boots in summer. can't think of anything else, but I'll keep you in mind if i think of anything else.