do you consider Bachelor big mountian?

steepconcrete

This has been a popular topic among many of my skier/boarder friends for a while. But last night, fuled by a e-mail I got from Schralp a Bachey local, we really got into it for a couple hours--obviously we had nothing better to do than drink Pabst and discuss the pros and cons of the pathetic ski areas we have here in mid-oregon.

Most of us were commenting about how in our opinion Will pass and even Hoodoo are usually better on a pow day--for various reasions, but the main consensus was simply cause there are drops and challenge...and cool stuff to hike. The Bachelor fans took offence to this.

So at this time a couple of my friends who have passes to Bachey start in about it being "big mountian", and even more bold saying it was "in the same league as Whistler/BC, Baker, Mammoth, 'Bird/Alta and Jackson".

Yea it is a great big "who cares", but im curious, what do u think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like skiing the trees off NW chair at Bachelor, and the runs when they are filled in early in the day. I think you can get your day's worth of good powder there. I don't see the need to compare it to other places. No the terrain is not super xtremo but the runs are long and continuous, and there are few lines. It's fun. And It's All Yours™

For me, Bachelor=Flatcherlor. However, I've never been there on a day when the summit cirque was in. And I've been there ~10 times.

My view is that if you want good steeps, trees and bumps, (and if you want to stay in Oregon) go to Willamette Pass. Conditions are real nice there now, btw. rockband.gif

And lift tickets are cheaper. And you don't have to drive as far.

Yeah, it all depends. I would say Big Mountain for Oregon but nothing beyond those borders. Pretty much every big mountain in the west has Bachy beat. Plus, Bachy is not a destination for skiers and boarders. I've skied all over Co., lived in Jackson, and skied up in B.C. and Bachy cannot even come close. Bachy will remain a weekender and locals place, nothing more.

There is no need to compare what-so-ever, its apples and oranges--> I just found the comments rather funny. My fave ski area is the one I am at on that paticular day..I dont care, skiing is fun, PERIOD.

I am by no means trying to say that Hoodoo or Will Pass is better than the Bachelor. I just think that on some days when the snow is good they can be just as fun, and maybe give you some things that Bachelor cant, like cliff drops.

I think Bachelor is the shit on sunny warm spring days--the best corn skiing. Such a great crusing mountian. Nothing better than 6-7 minute laps on Pine Martin at 3:45. But I have to disagree with you continuous comment Iain, the bottom of every lift, expecially NW and outback is a flat runout that sucks total ass in slow snow.

I dunno, I'd have to say I agree with Iain 100%, the trees off NW are splendid. I'm sure that my opinion is skewed by the fact the best powder days I've had boarding have been there, snowing hard enough to fill in all tracks during the lift ride, and I'm not some Xtreeme cliff jumping sort. I've also had brilliant bluebird days off the summit, cutting wide turns in wind transport powder, trailing 100' long carving contrails. Oh, and I don't think I've ever waited longer than 5 minutes in a line, and that was both rare and extreme. Less waiting = more fun.

I think one could argue that there's nothing that qualifies as a "big mountain" in all of Washington. Baker is nice, but the sweet lines track out in very short order, and one shouldn't confuse the scale of the backdrop with the area. Crystal is nice on a big powder day, but what area isn't?

Unsung areas that have great possibilities: Schweitzer. We found wonderful powder lines a full week after the last snowfall on my only visit. To be fair, we also found some stunningly crap riding, but sliding helplessly on tree studded boilerplate while giggling helplessly does have a certain appeal.

Suskan Arm, south/north back, and Aplental BC is all pretty gnarl big mountian terrain.

I think when people say "big mountian" they are refering more to the type of terrain than anything else. Size does matters to a extent but not as much as quality of terrain.

I was reading a old POWDER interview with Scott Gaffeny and he was saying that his fave terrain to shoot is small-big mountain-- short vert in big mountian style terrain.

to me it is all about the steeps and variety of the terrain. i have never been to bachelor but have heard it is not too steep. crystal is a great mountain b/c it has some great steeps and longer runs.

baker is a small moutain but has really fun terrain. lots of places to explore/get into trouble.

Bachelor is for sure lacking steeps. Big mountain riding? no way. Being a Bachy pass holder for the past 6 years I would verify it's an awesome mountain for free-riding powder away from people. If your getting caught in the flats on NW it's because you don't know where your going. If you've never had a bluebird powder day on the summit your view is very biased. Launching the cornice can be quite intimidating. Bend is lame? keep your bullshit comments to yourself, I wouldn't live anywhere else right now. mt. biking, skiing/riding/backcountry/ tons of bouldering , Smith Rock. If you consider this boring you might want get outside more often. Back on subject, being a Bachy local I would agree it's not big mountain riding but consistently gets good powder and is rarely over-crowded if you know where to go.

If your getting caught in the flats on NW it's because you don't know where your going.

The term flats is relative. Im thinking if your cant turn without stoping or slowing greatly, its flat. We need to hook up next time im over there, cause Im usually talking the trail of tears (flat) or cutting over early and hitting the bottom bit of the groomer that I consider flat (and very hard to deal with on spatulas).

edited cause it seemed agressive.

Edited by steepconcrete

Bend is lame? keep your bullshit comments to yourself, I wouldn't live anywhere else right now. mt. biking, skiing/riding/backcountry/ tons of bouldering , Smith Rock. If you consider this boring you might want get outside more often.

It's been confirmed. Bend really is the new Boulder.

It's skiing. Ski, Have Fun, Smiles with Friends. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

better.

No disrespect intended.

You can have Bend... but it ain't no Boulder.

I was going with the mindless devotion to someplace that is nice, but not by any means unique, and whose cost of living has spiraled disproportionately high in relation to it's recreation opportunities.

Funny, Id say Boulder is no Bend--> 250" in a oct-april ski year, sketch snowpack, big crowds and Texans vs. 450", nov-july, bomber pack, no crowds and Californians.

Apples and oranges.

edit--Cj, have you had a chance to ski your Arno's yet--how did ya like em?

Edited by steepconcrete

Anthony lakes with only 1 chair lift has better snow (base elevation is about 7000 feet) and better terrain, although shorter, much cheaper, less people and better backcountry within a 30 minute skin-up than bachlor, plus everyone is your budy.

• 2 weeks later...

what a funny little thread

boy, haven't been around here in a while

personal preference ok, but I grew up in Boulder, and lived in Bend for the last odd years, and I gotta say, I love Boulder, always will, but dood, you're delusional.

Bend - better snowpack, better backcountry, ZERO traffic and lines at the mountain, and more bottomless days. Yeah, sure, it don't have the CU hotties around, but 6 inches at Bachy is thick enough to float ya; 6 inches of dust on crust in CO isn't shit. And facking forget the 3 hour drive on I-70 on a weekend afternoon. When I lived in Bend, I used to go ski before work because Bachy was only 25 mins up the road. Sure as shit can't do that in Boulder. Admittedly, the climbing is a lot better. But even then, smiffytufftuff has a special place in my heart.

Oh and steepy (whassup A!), Bachy aint big mountain in the slightest. Now, go across the street to BT, and you can scare yourself all you want!

peace yo, OBC (original bend crew?) reprasent!