Seattle neighborhoods

miller

Hello,

It is very likely that I will be moving from Bellingham to Seattle before the end of the month. I've never lived in Seattle. What do you think are good neighborhoods to live in? Could anyone give opinions on the following: Ballard, Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake...or maybe recommend others that I haven't listed?

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Ballard, Greenlake, Greenwood and Capital Hill in the last 6 years.

Depends on what you're looking for (dense urban versus more neighborhood), willing to pay in rent, where you're communting to and if you want a house or an apartment. Greenlake and Capitol Hill will generally tend to be more expensive than Ballard or Greenwood. Trade off is nightlife on the Hill and easy access to freeways and Greenlake. When I lived on Capitol Hill parking was, and still is a major pain if you don't have a spot.

I just bought a house in Ballard just shy of Phinney Ridge and really dig what's happening in both places. Lots of cool pubs, restaurants and stores (Second Ascent!).Only drawback is that you are at least 15-20 minutes from the freeway. But then again, you're a 5 minute drive to both climbing gyms and a 10-15 minute commute downtown.

They are all great neighborhoods, just depends on what you want.

If you're looking to live next to a great ice cream cone shop, then you'll want to live in West Seattle and the Husky Deli. West Seattle is probably the cheapest of all the neighborhoods in Seattle to live in. West Seattle, historically, has produced some of the top climbers of the USA. 5 out of 7 people prefer West Seattle.

I'd suggest you make your decision partially on your working arrangements. If you have to/want to commute to the East side daily to work (like across a bridge or sumfin'), living anywhere North of the Ship Canal bridge and dealing with 520 is certain death.

If you have no such constraints, you're in better shape.

I've lived in Cap Hill, First Hill, Eastlake, Wallingford, Mt Baker, and Seward Park and worked in Fremont and Ballard; I think the Eastlake neighborhood takes the cake.

I live in the Central District. It is close to downtown, affordable for both buyers and renters, and diverse in its population both ethnicly and class-wise. It is not as hip as the Ballard/Freemont/Wallingford area, but it's very cool in its own way. It's close to Capitol Hill and the International District but there is no trouble parking. There's a ten minute bus ride to the downtown area and good freeway access in all directions. Check it out. bigdrink.gif

I'd suggest you make your decision partially on your working arrangements. If you have to/want to commute to the East side daily to work (like across a bridge or sumfin'), living anywhere North of the Ship Canal bridge and dealing with 520 is certain death.

If you have no such constraints, you're in better shape.

I've lived in Cap Hill, First Hill, Eastlake, Wallingford, Mt Baker, and Seward Park and worked in Fremont and Ballard; I think the Eastlake neighborhood takes the cake.

I take 520 east every day. If you hit it before 7 am, it's a breeze. I never come back that way. I go around the north end of the lake to Shoreline.