Pack it up, pack it in......

K_Y_L_E

So I am thinking about updating my pack, and was curious what size pack others were using. Right now I have a 4500-5000 pack. It does the job and then some. It worked great for a 4 day trip around jack mountain. But I am looking to get a new pack for mountaineering. I am wanting to get the smallest possible pack. The equipment I have is pretty light and compact (insert joke here) and I have a Dakine 2000ci ski/board pack that I can nearly fit everything into...nearly. SO, anyone use like a 3500 for mountaineering? Am I smoking crack thinking that will work? If I smoke crack will it work? Where can I get some crack?

Thanks

peace

cheers

shalom

skoal

danka

word!

Edited by K_Y_L_E

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of the Coldcoldworldpacks.com and he will customize you pack for you for just a little more. Great packs. a size for everything.smart and clean design. also the Lowe Alpine Ice Fang is on clearence at Sierratradingpost.com for 60 bucks, its a great pack to, 3000 ci. For the price and the quality is a perfect one

osprey makes a new version of its older zealot called the ceres in a couple sizes. the smaller one might be worth checking out. i've got the larger (4400 cu. in.) version, and after a little pack surgery it's only 4 lbs., so i'd guess the smaller isn't too weighty. great suspension, tool tubes, ski slots, etc. the other thing i use is a golite speed pack. it's just barely large enough for two nites if you go reaaaalllly light, but after i cut all the nonsense off it only weighs a pound smile.gif . it's no kind of durable, but i've gotten two hard years out of it already. and like daniel said, the bd ice pack is great--are they still making that?

DPS,

Are you referring to the 50L ice pack, maybe? By my math, 45 liters is 2746 cubic inches, not 3500.

Cheers,

Steve

Well, I know have the 45 liter, not the 50, so maybe it is only 2700 cubic inches? Seems bigger than that though. Either way, 45 liters is plenty big for the cascades, Tetons, etc.

Yeah, it seems like the 45L Ice Pack would be pretty ideal for the Cascades, especially for 2- and 3-day trips. thumbs_up.gif I have the 50L Ice Pack, and it is plenty roomy for weekend trips, year round (and I always bring too much crap).

Anyone use the GoLight Gust? That thing is crazy light, something like 20 oz? Is there any drawback to it? confused.gif

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

Anyone use the GoLight Gust? That thing is crazy light, something like 20 oz? Is there any drawback to it? confused.gif

Yeah, the straps and haul loops are sewn directly to the dyneema bag material without re-enforcement. They can rip out of the bad without too much effort. The shoulder straps and hip strap are ok. Every other strap is fragile.

I've used it for most of this year.

Pros:

Super light

Cheap

Material is much tougher than silnylon packs (BD's new stuff)

Cons:

Too big

no side compression straps

Belt sucks bad

No strap reinforcement (top strap has started to rip out)

Solutions:

Add side compression straps. There are already tabs in the design, just sew them on.

Add strap reinforcement in the form of cordura backing sewn through the pack and the straps

Widen the belt with a wedge-shaped piece of cordura.

It's still too big.

If you can sew, it's no biggee, if you can't - get a different pack.

Add strap reinforcement in the form of cordura backing sewn through the pack and the straps

Widen the belt with a wedge-shaped piece of cordura.

It's still too big.

If you can sew, it's no biggee, if you can't - get a different pack.

Just buy the Jam instead of the gust. its 20oz., a bit smaller but more technical. More technical in that it has side compression straps, water bottle holders and is hydration compatible. My only concern for you is it might be a little small. Check it out. Quality pack in my opinion.

I have a Khamsin 30 that I use for day trips and a Khamsin 52 that I use for multi day. They are light but seem pretty tough. The 30 holds skis reasonably well and has a hypalon reinforcement on the bottom compression strap to resist cutting by ski edges. I cut a small hole in the 52 at the top compression strap with a ski edge but a little seam grip fixed it right up. For lightly constructed/lightly padded packs, they carry weight surprisingly well. Because neither pack is particularly adjustable and rely on "crush pods" for padding, fit seems to be pretty important. I like the packs because they are simple and light. Too bad the 30 is no longer made. I can't remember if the 52 is still available.

I think the whole range of Khamsins has been changed or superseded or whatever for this year. I have a Khamsin 38 (size small) and find it pretty good and comfy, ok size for summer overnights but not quite big enough for winter. The seams are starting to bust a little where the compression straps connect.