Avy beacons

John Frieh

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took an avy class with my shiny new Pieps DSP, and it rocked. The scan function works great, and it was cool when we'd all switch to receive mode and I could see how many people still had theirs on in send. It was great pinpoint searching, it had about 10m more range than the Trackers most people were using, and the scan mode was great. The flag mode wasn't perfect, sometimes requiring a couple of button presses to flag the "found" beacon and continue the search for the next one, but was still quicker and easier than any other multiple beacon search. NOLSe, PM me if you want to check mine out. You can borrow it this week and rent another one for $6 at OMC and hide it around your house or yard.

Yeah I would probably shy away from buying oranges if some guy was standing next to them with a device that is beeping wildly. Mmmmmmm, Hanford oranges!

That sounds fun but if I were you I would try it out when travelling. Put one in your suitcase and turn it to transmit. When you go to get your bags at the baggage terminal, find it with the other beacon. That should turn some heads.

In addition to NOLSe's questions. Does any one have a usefull opinion on the advantage of 80m range as opposed to 60m range.

At least one study has shown beacon range to not affect rescue efficency. For more browse the reading section of BCAccess's site. If you are a gadget/tool user go for the Barryvox, otherwise brute force it with a Tracker.

I bought the barryvox for a few reasons:

- ability to hear analog beeps and follow digital arrows (greater range)

- it is/was the smallest and lightest beacon out there

- great harness system

- comes w/ 15 owners manuals in different languages (definite bonus here folks)

I love my Barryvox. Very small, lightweight, excellent harness. I love the customization, and the fact that I can train with both analog and digital modes; this way when someone who never used a beacon shows up with a rental F1, I can get the F1 and give them my Barryvox to find me smile.gif I'll give them my big metal shovel and take their Lexan crappy one too tongue.gif

I am shopping for a second beacon. I was going to buy another Barryvox, but will get a Pieps I think. The price difference is not that much, and if you've practiced looking for multiple victims, you'll see where the Pieps has a great advantage. If you have practiced digging somebody out, you'll also appreciate the time that can be saved just flagging a found victim and moving on. Its disadvantage is the narrower reception band which may not help find older beacons with a deviating emission frequency... (I am over the ghost issue after speaking to folks at Liberty Mountain.)

I've used Trackers too and they're great, very simple to use and idiotproof, and have more range than Barryvox in digital mode. They're very bulky comparatively.

drC

Camilo,

Do you have DSP Standard or Advanced?

I use F1 but it's not mine. If I have enough money I will go for DSP for sure, not for Barryvox.

It's amazing how Pieps designed multiple burials search. Now you just have to became an expert and save your partners in difficult times.

I hope you will never experience that but ...

Z

I would recommend against getting the Pieps DSP advanced. My only reason is the temptation to get the thing out to play with the compass / altitude. The extra $75 they're asking is close enough to get you a separate dedicated instrument that will ensure that your beacon will be where it should be at all times: next to your skin or skin layer.

drC