New G3 skis

TheOldHouseMan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't tried them, and doubt many have.

Here's my 2 cents:

Why even bother with a ski made by a company (G3) who has major problems with multiple products when so many other ski companies are making skis almost exlusively, have been for years, and everyone is riding and reviewing them?

It's obvious that G3 wants a piece of every part of the market, quality be damned. I can think of another company with the same business model, and they make the same mistakes as G3 ---- Black Diamond. They just have the capital behind them to fix their screw-ups more quickly.

Sorry to be so down on your request, but can G3 REALLY be offering a product that even matches what's already on the market? If they are, then the skis are made by someone who is already making skis under a different name.

Edited by E-rock

Paul Parker... Ever heard of em? Im not sure how much of a design background he has, but Im interested in hearing from someone else thats dropped way too much cash on G3s first shot at it. If I was in the market, which I always am, this is the last company Id invest in right now. Too many good skis being made by other, more reputable co's.

Yes, Paul was quite involved with Tua. There were a new bunch of Tua skis that never got to be shipped to the states that had good feedback from the industry demos.

In the interest of cross-pollination, since many of the questions refer to the new skis:

http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001083

As long as a company has a decent warranty policy, I don't see any reason to be more afraid of purchasing skis than anything else. Since skis are so tactile though, being able to demo them would make sense.

...then the skis are made by someone who is already making skis under a different name.

The skis are made at a factory in Tunisia owned buy a European ski company. There was a good discussion on TTips as to what company that was, but the name escapes me at the moment. TTips lost their entire message database a month or so ago so I can't look it up.

paul parker was the designer for tua. tua skis have a long and excellent reputation as telemark skis. i ski some right now and love them dearly. they missed the boat on making fatter skis apparently, due to the unwillingness of the new owner to get with the program. then they went bankrupt.

incidentally, paul parker also wrote the bible on telemark skiing and was responsible for developing the first plastic telemark boots.

when tua went out of business, i became rather concerned about not being able to replace my aging setup, so i considered it to be wonderful news when paul parker moved to g3 and came out with these new skis. i pawed them over at rei and they are wonderful. i have not heard any reports of people skiing them, and yes, there might be some production flaws - the skis are built in northern africa somewhere!! - but, based on paul parker's previous work, i have no doubt that their design is excellent.

I have read, in either Backcountry, Off-piste, or Couloir mags, that these are Tele specific in that the rail lengths and angles are different a la Scotty Bobs: There is a specific right and left ski and these are designed for Tele only.

Paul does have a solid rep.

In that case, might be worth checkin out. My first tele skis were Tua's (after the Kazama Cornices, of course), and I was quite disappointed as well when they closed up shop. However, wasnt Tua previously owned by BD? And why are they nolonger making ski's? There seems to be a few coincidentals that tend to steer me away, however, there appears to be just as much evidence supporting the possibilty of a decent ski coming from G3. Ill definitely demo a set this season, but Id still like to hear from someone in the spring, that put some time on a pair in a variety of conditions, and no doubt we will.

greta,

tua was a small privately-help italian company. named after the owner. ran out of cash and had to sell out to a guy with money, who ran afoul of paul parker. new owner apparently mismanaged things, started building a huge factory, ran out of money and filed for bancruptcy. got all that from reading an inverview with paul parker.

i'd like to demo a pair too, if you hear where around here one can do that, pls post that!

I have read, in either Backcountry, Off-piste, or Couloir mags, that these are Tele specific in that the rail lengths and angles are different a la Scotty Bobs: There is a specific right and left ski and these are designed for Tele only.

Paul does have a solid rep.

This is true of one model only, the Ticket - it is assymetrical. The other three models are symmetrical. And they are marketing the assym at all skiers as well...

The rumour is that they are Movement skis, but ttips has quite a rumour mill, so who really knows. The assym ski has the same dimensions as Movement's assym ski though...

Thanks for that enem. I suppose what I was getting at was: how does a company that at one point in time made the best tele skis around run out of cash. But your answer, in a round about way, sheds a little light on what was more or less a rhetorical question. I somehow missed that interview. Bachelor has a pretty extensive demo day in the spring. At least they did when I lived down there. Id be suprised if they didnt have a rep for that event.

I thought Paul Parker was Spider man.

As for the Ticket, I'd be afraid of blowing out a edge on a asym. pair of skis and not being able to switch. on the otherhand I am really curious if the benifits outweight that problem. I think it was Dynastar had a pair of aysm skis 5 maybe 7 years ago, they were black, but I think it was just the make-up/thickness of the ski that was aysm, not the sidecut.

Telefest at Hoodoo this weekend, suposed to be lots of free demos.

Im mostly talking shit, however, I will be quick to report when and if I can find a demo pair. I would expect nothing less from my fellow cc'ers as well. For now, I'll be in the back, brushing up on my Paul Parker history so that I might avoid future ridicule from these tight asses.

Why even bother with a ski made by a company (G3) who has major problems with multiple products

they had a problem with their skins but quickly pulled them off the market and reformulated the glue. i admire that. i can think of no other products that have not been absolutely outstanding. and their customer service is second to none.

the targa binding competely changed the binding market. before them all others were aluminum make-a-breaks or garage made peices of junk.

i am surprised that the skis were only 2 years in the making but my guess is that parker had some plans up his sleeves for years while at tua and jumped at the chance when g3 called--or maybe he called them. either way they are prob hot!

I just bought a pair of G# reverends with AT bindings.

Don't know if I am a good enough skier to give any meaningful feedback but I have skied them at Baker both inbounds and BC.

They are great as expected in the deep and where suprisingly good on the hardpack for a fattie. I think they rock and am pleased with my purchase. laugh.gif