Where would you go if you had ten days to kill

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know there was a "season" for the Wind River Range. I always thought when it gets too cold, don't climb. I'm not sure how cold it is there right now, but it couldn't be too bad considering the low temperature in any city in the continental US was 24 degrees F yesterday. November might be pushing it, but then again it might be OK. You just have to pay attention to conditions like always and plan accordingly.

I've been in the Wind River Range in late September/Early October and it was definitely not warm (neither are the Cascades), but it wasn't formidably cold either. Of course when the "cold" arrives will vary from year to year.

It was 65 degrees F in Pinedale, Wyoming today .. which is at the foot of the Wind River Range. Not too shabby for October 10. It's getting pretty cold at night though. So if you were to go now, Wind River would be OK. In 3 weeks it might still be OK.

[ 10-10-2002, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: MountainMan ]

It's starting to sound like I can hit all the hot spots by going s. then east. Wind river would be nice but the questionable weather is a concern. Thanks for all the good tips off-white, I guess the trip will depend somewhat on the company. If I end up solo, a Jtree I can panhandle for belays, or just meet up with people. I'll have to get some more info from you regarding the mentioned places as the departure arrives.

Anyone up for some early winter ascents? there's nothing like the thrill of unconsolidated snow and constant avalanches.

I met this guy at FC that was telling me about a place in mexico that has some 16 pitch sport routes (not El Gigante) and a bunch of good trad routes. Does anyone know any spots to climb in mexico (Baja perferably)?

PS Don't bother sprayin about bolts cause [MR T]

For long trad routes in Mexico that is Saltillo, near Monterray.

Also there is a good place down by the city of Puebla called Los Pedicos. Nice limestone cliffs, sport and trad but all single pitch climbs, on the shore of a big lake. Near Pico de Orizaba is the town of Rio Blanco. They have some limestone cliffs there with some of the most wierd tuftas I've ver seen.

Plus your dollar goes a long way down there. Not as far as in years past, but you can live down there comfortably for three months with less than $2,000.

After getting laid off this Spring, I did a ten day trip- 2 days in Smith 3 in Red Rocks and 3 at JTree. It's a hell of a lot of driving for two weeks.

If I had to do it over, I'd skip Smith and head straight to Red Rocks, then down to Jtree, which is a relatively short drive from Red Rocks. The camping at Red Rocks sucks, since you're in the middle of a dust bowl, but the climbing is amazing. And, well, JTree is amazing... Beer is better in both places than Utah...

Have a good trip.

If I could be anywhere right now I'd be on the road between Salt Lake City and Zion with the girl I left behind in Salt Lake. I dream of the desert every night. Then I'd head over to Moab. Indian Creek is one of the most magical places I've ever climbed at, and the comeraderie there is unbeatable.