Where would you go if you had ten days to kill

COL._Von_Spanker

So you've got some vacation time that has to be used in the next few months and not much money. Where would you go? Ice climbing? J-tree? Ouray? Tahoe (gambling!!!) Red Rocks?The place must be driving distance, and remember not much money to burn.

Ok so I'm trying to get ideas here, there are just so many good places to go, and I can't decide what to do. But I know I'm going to be climbin' or doin' some other winter activity.

Where would you go and why..........

[Wazzup]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on your desires....

i would put my money on the desert sw.....you have some of the best cragging in the world....5.10 leader almost madatory...you have killer dersert towers....and canyoneering...and mtn biking..plus some very surreal hiking and what not.....the beer in utah obviously blows goatz....so plan accordingly...also down there is like a couple other people mentioned is ZION!!! i have lcimbed there 3 times and i would have to say it is one of the best places to get big routes done.....walls my friend walls......not much in the way of cragging....it is about 4-8 hours between moab and zion.......

red rocks would be cool, but vegas is right there and what is the point of driving there if you can fly there for cheaper??? but then again you could prolly say that about most places....

jtree would be nice, still kinda warm, but near perfect...though the wind.....oh the wind....please stop this frinkin wind!!!!!

hmmm....too early for good consistant ice....and skiing will be here soon, go climbing!!!!!!

i will be getting laid off here towards the end of the month(that is the rumor atleast) i might be up for some roadtrippin!!! you need a partner???

erik

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

depending on your desires....

i will be getting laid off here towards the end of the month(that is the rumor atleast) i might be up for some roadtrippin!!! you need a partner???

erik

Yeah, I'll be lookin' for partnah's. Driving is a pain, but it offers the opportunity to go to mutiple places. Stop at smiff then head to Utah, the worlds best place to party...

Zion and red rocks would be great. I love Smiff, but I reserve that for 3 day weekends, I want to go where I normaly can't go unless I've got time.

So thanks for all the suggestions everyone,

Another idea, take the vacation over thanksgiving and get an even longer trip.

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

this is rather simple.... a 10 day trip to Aurora would be ideal.... good food, and free popcorn at ricks, and the vu ain't half bad either.

He'd have to sell his car and walk to Rick's just to afford 10 days worth of lap dances. [laf]

GT, your lingo is hittin' way to close to home... You're certainly a Plab fellow. This is very interesting though having spent all the years of my life near or on Aurora, I know it like the back of my hand and don't need any 99 beta, but thanks. Try catching the 16 in front of canlis, you'll meet some fine ladies there.

Erik, I think J Tree will be a go, along with visiting my brother in Long Beach for some surfing.

Ten days sounds like a good amount of time to have a good old North Cascades Jamboree to me. I'd go up and spend some time on Ragged Ridge .. maybe climb Katsuk, Cosho, and Kimtah. Then I might go over and hit up Monument, Blackcap, Osceola, and Lago. Then if I had enough energy I'd check out Snowfield on the way back. Now is a good time to see the fall colors. Those 4 days of sunshine in the 7 day forecast look quite nice .. we probably won't be seeing any 4 day stretches like that for a while around here (if this 4 day stretch even pans out).

Pros of MountainMan's Plan :

-Cheap

-Fun

-Beautiful

-Alpine

-Cheap

Cons :

-None

So there you have it.

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

So you've got some vacation time that has to be used in the next few months and not much money. Where would you go? Ice climbing? J-tree? Ouray? Tahoe (gambling!!!) Red Rocks?The place must be driving distance, and remember not much money to burn.

Ok so I'm trying to get ideas here, there are just so many good places to go, and I can't decide what to do. But I know I'm going to be climbin' or doin' some other winter activity.

Where would you go and why..........

[Wazzup]

I haven't read all this thread, so I may be repeating someone...

My parents live in Tahoe, so I'd stop there on my way to the Valley. But Tahoe isn't a good place to be if you don't have much money...I'd get a good dinner from mom, go shopping for canned chilli, and pack the hual bag. Then drive to the valley 4hrs) and get straight on El Cap, don't fuck around with Camp4. Spend 5-7 days on the PO, Mescalito, the Muir, or trade route of your choice, then drive home in a push just be for work on the 11th morning. [big Grin] This has allways been my trip of choice.

You can't go wrong with most of the suggestions here, and Utah, Jtree, and Red Rocks have a lot to offer. Here's another couple more-off-the-beaten-track ideas.

Its getting to be a dodgy season, but consider the Needles, Sequoia, or Domelands in the southern Sierras. If the sun's out, you'll be comfortable, and you might go a week without seeing another climber. Great rock too, you'll get a little more mileage out of your tips too compared to JTree

Canon Tajo has a lot to offer, like Joshua Tree without the crowds. (A friends report from last weekend was that there wasn't a campsite to be had in the entire monument last weekend) Tajo also has Trono Blanco, with walls and long free routes. Beta is tough to come by (mine is all old and fuzzy) but the beer is great and the location is fabulous. It is at 5000 feet, and if a bad weather system comes in you'll see why it's been nicknamed "poor man's patagonia."

The Bishop area is another possibility, though I fear its becoming increasingly trendy. Weather permitting, you can scurry up into the fringes of the range to places like Pine Creek and Bishop Creek, the Buttermilks are stacks of fun with Jtree like roped climbing in the area. Deadman's Summit may be cold, but the tuff bouldering there is just awesome, and the soft pumice makes for great landings. Owens River Gorge is lunkhead sport pulling terrain for sure, but bound to be fun for a couple days. Of course, there are also the newly popular Happy Boulders with a couple bazillion problems (and lots of easy ones). I'm only going to have a week, so that's were I'm headed come October 25th.