Banks Ice

Skatan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw some guys had led a rock pitch around The Cable and set up a top rope on it on Saturday. The ice at Devils Punchbowl was a little rotten, it warmed up during the day and a bunch of the big icicles formed on the overhang detached and came crashing down. Sketchy!

thought i would add a little more: the brush climbs are getting close, Salt & Pepper appears to be a no show, Agent Orange is filling in also but not there yet, Zenith has a long way to go as it's only coming down ~20 feet on the upper pitch. I took some pics on friday and will try to post them later.

This will bring the crowds, I'd bet, but...

climbed out at Banks yesterday with NYC007. conditions are improving, but the ice is still generally thin. we spent the day at PeeWee's, mostly TRing a 5+ pillar on the left side. it's probably thick enough to lead for those who climb that hard. Other than that, we saw a party from Oregon in Devil's Punchbowl (the death-cicles are there) and then they showed up at Peewee's. topouts there are super thin.

For specifics: The Cable hasn't touched down, Zenith has grown but isn't in, Agent Orange is getting close, Absent Minded Professor isn't in, Fred's Gully looks in, most everything else looks like it might be climbable to some degree. we didn't drive up to Electric Avenue.

--is in.

I climbed there Sunday after spending Saturday at Alpental. I talked to a dude on the phone a couple of hours ago who lives in the region and he said that it hit -10 at his house recently?

___

Somebody seriously needs to bolt a bunch of mixed routes out there because that place has more mixed potential than Hyalite in my humble opinion. Huge overhangs to hanging daggers.

I 'm trying to post pictures from a couple of days ago, if they aren't here check the ice gallery.

Well couldn't figure out how to get the pictures here confused.gifso here's a description of what we saw.

As already mentioned above it seems like most of the bigger climbs aren't quite in yet. From the road champagne looks good but is only barely down, perhaps those with more experience would consider it do-able, but not me.

Even Cowgirls get the blues looked thin, and sometime between tuesday and thurs. a large hanging curtain on the left side fell off.

On thurs. when we left the cable was still about 10' from touching down but there is a nice looking climb (I thought H2o2, but not sure) right off the road about a half mile down from the cable.

We hiked up to The emerald and its maybe half way down.

The best bet seems to be pewee's playground, varied lines and some cool looking columns. On the right side is a group of four closely spaced pillars that I thought looked pretty nice.

As Wazzu mentioned above we climbed both trotsky's lines and half our group braved death from above at the punch bowl. I really enjoyed the short upper section of Trotsky's Folly- just perfect for my first lead, highly recommended for a bit of fun.

Hey Wazzu, we were wishing we had the skills and balls to try that column you were on bigdrink.gif by the way is "More ice" the line thats just down from the Cable? I was thinking that was H2o2- but my reading of the guidebook maps was off a bit all week.

We also hiked up to the beer bottle flows and as best i could tell Bavarian Dark and Soda Pop were in but thin and rainer light was barely there'

Edited by snodger

Nice picture Waz but it really makes it look smaller than it is. We had a great view from the base o the cliff over to the right - shoulda took a shot of you - but I was fight'n a hang over and not feeling too great. The picture I'm trying to post below give a good view except theres no reference for size- how tall you think that thing was?

Hey Wazzu, we were wishing we had the skills and balls to try that column you were on

Here is NYC007 on said pillar:

Pretty sure thats H202 in lean mean conditions

naw, thats definetly in Pewee's playground, heres a picture I took from down on the road it give a better idea of the size:

3635s_1-12-05-med.JPG

Hey Gary when (and what) is those pictures from?

Edited by snodger