Ruh-oh... My crampons are starting to rust!

Kiwi

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little secret that many classic car owners use to keep their crome sparkling is to take steel-wool to remove the rust. I don't actually own crampons so standard disclaimers apply wink.gif If you try it, try a small area first to make sure it doesn't destroy your equipment.

Hell will freeze substantially solid before you lose enough metal cross section through rusting to matter...unless, of course, you're doing something bizarre like wallowing around in salt. One could offer that if your climbing stuff is getting rusty it's a sign that you need to climb more, but...

The only maintenance stuff you really should do to your crampons is visually inspect for cracks and sharpen with a file when needed. Don't grind with power tools unless you know how to not get them too hot.

Mine started rusting after the first season of having them, and they have lasted five more years now with no problems. If you filed them to get more of a point, it seems like they rust quicker. Like what Mister Mo said, it isn't really going to make much of a difference.

I keep a spray-can of penetrating oil (WD40, whatever) in a box, with a bastard file, a cleaning brush, and a rag. A snow-and-ice tool cleaning kit, if you will...

Whenever I see rust after a trip (usually, if I'm descending a route on a sunny day, I have them off and on the back of the pack long enough for the sun to dry them out, so they don't rust, but not always) I'll saturate the rag with the oil, and then wipe them down. Problem solved- rust gone.

• 2 months later...

WD40 after each climb, also depending on what your doing a sharpening job on your axes is probably a good idea. If you ever ski raced think about it as a wax job. Its certainly more than required but it keeps the rust off, is a good way to relax post climbing, and just keeps you in touch with what your equipment is looking like.

But a quick rub down with Montana cologne will take off whatever spots you got.