Recommended Ski Descents

Ryan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The North Cascades Highway is usually open by early May and there are plenty of good tours around Silver Star,

Washington Pass, and Rainy Pass.

Some of the classic descents on volcanoes aren't easily accessible until late May/early June when roads open up, such as Emmons glacier on Rainier and the SW chutes on Adams. If we end up with a lower than average snow year though...these roads might open sooner than usual.

i'll second the north cascades highway, depending on how much snow we end up with there may not be much up there though.

Mt Hood - south side

some classics on mt rainier - ski up to camp muir

Mt shuksan

cascade couloir on mt stuart

just a few to get you started.

To me, a "classic ski descent" is one from a major peak, one that involves larger vertical, and preferably with some adventurous skiing or an appealing summit or maybe an icefall or something.

Glacier Peak used to be a good one, but the access is now difficult. For a peak near the road, I'd look at Eldorado Peak, from the Cascade River Road (though the boulder field at about 4,000 feet may be absolutely atrocious at that time of year depending on snow cover). Nearby, Sahale Peak is a good one. Also, check out Mount Shuksan, from either the Baker Lake side or from the ski area side (the White Salmon Glacier route is little more adventurous than the more commonly skied Sulphide Glacier). Mount Baker is very scenic and one of the highest and most glacier-clad peaks in the state (either the Coleman Glacier or the Easton Glacier are good, though the snowmobiles will be on the Easton in May). I would skip the ski descent from Camp Muir on Mount Rainier in favor of other trips on the mountain (Camp Hazard or Steamboat Prow or Whitman Crest make better day-tripping destinations in my opinion). Mount Stuart's Cascadian Couloir is good but involves a longer approach. Toward the east side of the North Cascades, Silver Star Mountain via the Silver Star Glacier is good (I think it is easier to climb via Burgundy Col and descend via the Silver Star drainage).

These are all classic peaks in their own right -- among the higher peaks in the area with glaciers on their flanks, and being popular climbs as well as ski descents. They are all relatively easy ski descents if you have significant ski-mountaineering experience.

Right on, thanks for the info.

If the snow is looking decent I'll definitely be heading out that way come May.

Mattp- that's what I'm looking for; a decent from a classick peak with some degree of technical difficulty. Thanks for the info on that. Eldorado looks enticing, as does the Sulphide Glacier on Shuksan.

Don't forget to look further South too, if you consider that "Cascades" (it IS, it's just not that full on jumble of awesome peaks like north of Stevens is.)

For instance, Adams SW Chutes. Shasta by any route. A goodly number of Oregon volcanos, South Sister to give one example.

Not sure I'd call Baker/Coleman a 'starting point' - might be worth trying some milder less crevassed glaciers on other mountains first. Some years it's fine but some years it is nervy skiing.

I moved out to Seattle from Bozeman this fall and have been skiing around Mt. Baker a good bit. I really miss Bozeman but there is a lot of great terrain out here. My goal is to ski some cool peaks this spring as well. If you get in touch with me before you come I can help you out with conditions. I'll even go skiing with you. Keep in touch.

Baldwin