Made/Modified Climbing Gear

Blake

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edit: Also, The wire coat hanger stiffened quickdraw (AKA: The Club) is always on the rack!

DUDE THAT'S AID!!!

Anyway, what brand/model of draw do you use (I assume a longer one) and how did you insert the wire? This sounds like a good idea for hard sport routes.

A license plate makes a great stove stand. Just drill a couple of holes and add some bungee stuff to hold the stove down. Thanks to my friend Josh S. for that one.

If you take that coat hanger stiffened quickdraw to South Dakota, like to climb at the needles, then you can make a little extra money doing basement abortions with it after they reverse Roe vs Wade. laugh.gif

That is for sure an awesome custom add-on.

There used to be some cuffs that folks regularly scavanged from old Salvation Army alpine boots that made good braces for leather telemark boots. I think they were Nordica cuffs. They wrapped around from the back, and provided awsome ankle stiffness, and a slightly forward cant. A commercially available product was more or less equivalent.

It's a 4" long radius elbow DWV (drain/waste/vent) fitting from Lowes. I believe it's ABS. About $1 each. Old crampon strap on the instep and a webbing/velcro strap on the leg, with a extra piece of plastic for comfort.

6oz each.

I've seen a few of the cut-up ski boot rigs. Kind of heavey and didn't have the support I wanted. I needed something to keep me balanced front/back.

Seems to help.

chris

Another trick for the Mythos: For saving the laces from their quick demise in the cracks....cut a piece of bicycle inner tube in somewhat of a triangular shape which matches the front of the shoe around the area where the laces are. Use Barge cement or seam grip and glue a bead around the outside of the laces. Glue the inner tube over the laces! It is only attatched to the shoe on the outside of the laces. Looks a bit weird but adds months and months of life to the laces which are a pain in the ass to relace!

Here's a cool idea I happened across; while checking out grivelnorthamerica.com. An ice tool discussion ended with "and don't forget the 3M splicing tape." Hmmmm, what's that all about, methnks.

Turns out it's a stretchable, adhesive backed rubber polymer tape which is often used on the monsters, but is great for other tools as well. I've got a pair of the Grivel light wings (should have gotten the alp wings which are just a few oz.s more and come with a rubber grip, but WTF.) I was using stair tread tape, like what comes on the air tech evos, but that has the nasty habit of shredding my gloves.

'Just picked up the splicing tape, available at electrical supply houses, prolly not found at most home improvement places. Ooooh, I like it! Doesn't add much bulk, sticky... gotta go try it out. thumbs_up.gif