Do I need this?

Blake

Right now I have a bunch of good fleeces and polypro under layers, and I've got a light weight shell (Sierra designs version of the marmot precip) and a goretex winter jacket. I recently craved into the fad, and bought a softshell jacket as well. This is all i've needed for northwest summer alpine trips and winter days tripsof the past. If i'm planning on doing some ski tours, more winter cragging/belaying or more alpine stuff during the non-summer months, do you think getting an insulated jacket would be necessary? I've read the past couple of threads on down and synthetic jackets and if i decide to get one, i'll use those suggestions, but I guess i just need some input. I love the idea of a 16 or 10 oz down jacket, thinking i could just keep it dry under a shell when it rained. Is this realistic? Would you get an insulated jacket if you were in my spot? If so, Down or Synthetic?

Convince me!

Thanks for the advice. wave.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Plinko on the synthetic. Althought I can't vouch for the one he is selling. It is hard to keep down dry if it is raining, even under a shell. I had an awful 3 days trying to stay warm and looking like the pilsbury doughperson, during a storm in Yosemite a couple years ago. It sucked. I came home to Seattle and bought a synthetic jacket the next day. I recommend something with a primaloft fill. I hardly wear my down coat anymore.

Synthetic can save your life and some brands are nearly as light and compact as down. One synthetic jacket that can handle wetness weighs less than a down jacket plus a fleece back up. Two or three layers of fleece may equal one layer of insulated parka, but several layers of fleece are hard to move in, and they are a pain to get in and out of every time you stop and start. A synthetic belay jacket that you can throw on when you stop and shove in the pack when you move will save you time on those short winter days.