mark middle of rope

drl

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the tests, it will reduce the number of falls held by up to 50%. The real danger comes from loading that exact spot over an edge or biner...read more about it here.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/services/safety/Marking%20of%20Ropes.doc

my recommendation is to weave dental floss or heavy thread through the sheath very carefully at the middle of the rope.

I think you'll be ok, but you might want to have one side of the rope a little longer than the other when rapping, so your pen mark isn't at the rope's bend. I know this is an anecdotal bit of information, but who has ever heard of a rope failing due to a felt pen? (real life not lab tests)

OK, "per manufacturers" is a bit of a broad claim. I bought a Maxim a few years ago, and the hang tag with the rope recommended marking the middle with a sharpie. (I think that was the recommended brand, sharpie, marks-a-lot, whatever. They're probably all about the same.) So, yeah, I'm a bit surprised with the edge test failures. I learned something new, whaddya know. I think I'll try the dental floss trick next time, or spring for a new Mamut; always really liked their ropes. Thanks.