New Forum?

jon

Hey I got a question for you guys and gals which I don't think we have ever talked about before.

Do you like the way the forums are organized?

Should we add more forums and/or change the organization for some of them?

Is the Route Reporting Category broken up into enough forum or should we break it up more?

How about Ice Climbing conditions, is one forum sufficient or should we break that up more, like a couple for different areas and maybe one for techniques and such?

There have been some First Ascents reported, should we put those into their own forum?

I know there are some ski sites out there, but should we add some forums for Ski Mountaineering type stuff? Lowell, Beck, AlpineK what do you guys think?

I was thinking we should add a Tech Talk forum, there has definately been some good conversation here regarding rope use, what type of racks your carry etc., but unfortunately these will get lost in the Climbers Board forum over time.

Thanks for the feedback!!!! [rockband]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by To The Top:

How about rock seperated from alpine.

Yeah! And of course it should be further subdivided into sport and trad! [Wink]

Seriously through, I think the trip reports sections are organized fine. If anything, I'd say consolidate them into just one forum. There's really not that much traffic on those forums.

What about beta pleas? I guess they should be in with the trip reports 'cause a lot of time the trip reports and responses contain a ton o' beta.

Hey jon,

Some good ideas there. You could maybe split up Ice between Canada and Washington/US... A tech tip page would be cool. Ski Mountainiering, or skiing in general would be cool.

How about a favorite links page?

But here is an idea you might consider. How about fixin the homepage? "Intech by Dru" is gettin a bit stale, and the Last 20 + 40 post links are still down. Just a suggestion, I'm not complaining [Wink]

Links to NWAC.org or NOAA would be good.

I think a seperate forum for skiing would make sense. Admittedly, skis make their way onto many approaches/descents,

but there's a totally different style/focus between say, skiing the Ptarmigan Traverse vs. on foot, going to ski around the Kololo Peaks or climbing there, climbing Pinnacle or Castle vs. doing a ski tour there.

I think it would make it easier to access ski-specific reports/beta, and a great forum addition for winter- if any posts give enough TR beta at the end of the season maybe they could be cross posted to the regional forums.

I like the idea of seperating cragging from alpine. I might br more inclined to post TR's if there was a section for that kind of... "I drove to smith rock and pulled on my mega 5.6 project" [Wink] for reals though, the oregon cascades although I am sure is ment to include all the "climbing" in our area feels a bit limiting as a description... just throwing ideas out, you don't have to listen to me [big Grin]

I agree with different thread for USA and Canadian ice other than that leave it where it is.

Also, right now there are threads on Slesse in "N Cascades", "BC" and "Climbers Board". If there are more forums it will just mean more places to search thru to find the thread you are looking for.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Do you like the way the forums are organized?

Should we add more forums and/or change the organization for some of them?

The problem is not the organization of the forums, it's the users (Post spray in spray, etc.).

Fixing the front page (Last 25 Posts, <Latest Threads>) will allow people to see what is active in the other forums.

The stuff on the front page needs to be fixed. Problem is everytime we have to reload the software we have to fix that which sucks. And we're lazy.

The links page has been terribly neglected, I had a pretty good one going until we switched to a content management program and we never got the links page back up.

I can understand the standpoint of less forums is better. From our standpoint the more forums we can have to get things out of the Climbers Board the better. Reason being is server space. If you look to see how many posts are in the Climbers Board there are a ton. If we have to purge posts at some point we could lose some good stuff.

I think the point of posts being in wrong forums that Dru brought up is a good point, it will be up to the moderators to keep an eye on this and the users can always say something too. More moderators would help to not to act as cyber cop just to make sure things are in their place.

Jon

You want something to improve this site?

How about a trip reports place where people can post their trip reports by giving beta, BUT no one can respond to the post—thereby eliminating the spray. The other thing that would make it a quality addition, is that you would not delete the information. I find it frustrating to post information and beta, only to have it deleted. If people wanted more questions from the trip report then they would PM the writer. This “posting” place would be similar to Summitpost.com or WTA.org which has about 9000 trip reports on trails.

Stefan - How many of your trip reports have been deleted [Roll Eyes][Confused]

Personally I totally disagree. If you want no-reply TRs then post on summitpose or nwta. If there wrre no replies to TRs there wouldnt have been Muir on Saturday or the current West Ridge of Prussik thread and Scot'teryx would never know he was gaining acceptance as he learns to climb more and chestbeat less.

[Cool]

[ 10-08-2002, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Stefan - How many of your trip reports have been deleted
[Roll Eyes][Confused]

Personally I totally disagree. If you want no-reply TRs then post on summitpose or nwta. If there wrre no replies to TRs there wouldnt have been Muir on Saturday or the current West Ridge of Prussik thread and Scot'teryx would never know he was gaining acceptance as he learns to climb more and chestbeat less.

[Cool]

I know I said deleted. I guess I meant "lost" in the array of spray. If you want beta on some peak you have dig through all the spray and odd posts that pop it. Who has time for that? Well, maybe you Dru. Not me. I need something fast. Efficient. Without spray. That's what a lot of people want from the web.

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Stefan - How many of your trip reports have been deleted
[Roll Eyes][Confused]

[Cool]

I know I said deleted. I guess I meant "lost" in the array of spray. If you want beta on some peak you have dig through all the spray and odd posts that pop it. Who has time for that? Well, maybe you Dru. Not me. I need something fast. Efficient. Without spray. That's what a lot of people want from the web.

Stefan I agree with you it would be nice if you didn't have to dig through tons of crap in some of the TR but thats life. Yes unfortunately on occasion TRs get moved to spray, but very rarely.

What sucks about your arguement is that you somehow don't have time to weed through something. Why are you in such a hurry? You don't have time? It's like hurry up and give me my fucking beta now! And send it to my self phone because I'm in the car on the way to get my frapachino.